DEET: Spray or Lotion?

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

MattC
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

DEET: Spray or Lotion?

Post by MattC »

Picked up some 100 lotion to try out vs. spray deet. I sweat a lot and even though I am not to susceptible to mosquitos, figured we'd give the lotion a try. It was highly recommended to us and wondering thoughts from you guys.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: DEET: Spray or Lotion?

Post by Tom »

I personally use lotion, most often 3M Ultrathon. On the plus side for lotion, it will last longer between applications, and is easier to apply in limited target areas, like the tops of ears, forehead, etc. They've come a long way in bonding the molecules to large particles so they don't absorb as readily into skin.
On the plus side for spray is that you can apply it to clothing, instead of skin contact. For some, they prefer having that option.
You indicate you are not susceptible - I'm guessing you mean you don't have a histamine reaction when you get bit? (No red mark, no itching, no wheal.)
I'm the same way :P , but my wife thinks that's a curse... What with the various mosquito borne illnesses (West-Nile, etc) she notes that because I've never reacted, I really don't bother swatting them off as much, just let them bite, etc.. Whereas people that react tend to take evasive action and go on alert!
gwpruitt
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by gwpruitt »

I ordered some more picaridin today...have had good luck with it. Its not as stinky as Deet and easier on your skin.

(note I also pack a small deet backup)!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

gwpruitt wrote:I ordered some more picaridin today...have had good luck with it. Its not as stinky as Deet and easier on your skin.
2nd that, and it doesn't ruin gear.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

HI Everyone, New product im using here in Wisconsin for gnats biting flies and mosquitos. Will it work ont he island? wil find out in 2 weeks.
Original Bugg Spray
it just says smells good on front if it.
Has anyone used it?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Here in Northern Illinois the tiny gnats are out in full force. I cannot remember them ever being this annoying. They don't bite but you can't go outside with inhaling or eating several. My neighbor says he uses vanilla to keep them away. I haven't tried it yet.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
MattC
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by MattC »

awesome. may try that out. also was thinking of hangin bags of water with quarters inside off the brim of my hat! :P
chrisdmac62
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by chrisdmac62 »

Hello,
I have made 4 trips in July, August, and September. First time I got lucky, as the night time temperatures dipped into the teens, and no mosquitos at all. Not so luck the other times. I bought a bottle of stuff called Jungle Juice at REI. It is like an oil and you just rub it on. Try not to get it on your gear. It seriously blurred the labeling on the body of my DeLorme Inreach. Worked well though. I perspire a lot too. Seemed to be effective for most of the day. Kind of tough applying when hiking alone though.