Spiders

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

MattC
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Spiders

Post by MattC »

Hey everyone. Been seeing some pics of some gnarly looking spiders on IR. They even looked to be about the palm of my hand. I cant find any info on these guys. I'm not going to say I'm not squirmish of them but I'm definitely not going to tucker into bed with one either. Gosh forbid my wife see's one! (Think most women despise spiders and if one is in sight, death is close :lol: ) Any info helps. I'd rather know facts then brush off my wife's concerns that they're harmless, which I'm almost positive they are. At least I hope. I've already been bitten by a brown recluse twice!
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Spiders

Post by JerryB »

I have always assumed they are harmless. I have generally seen them in the outhouses only. I am sure they are pretty much everywhere, but more easily spotted in an enclosed space. Some are quite large, although I have never seen one even half the size of my palm. The outhouses usually have brooms. Before your wife goes in, sweep out the cobwebs. That should help.
MattC
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by MattC »

Maybe my scale is off but I saw this one that looks rather larger. Also another one floatin around the forum somewhere.
http://parksproject.files.wordpress.com ... g_3720.jpg
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

NICE! Being terrified of spiders myself I always look around for them .....especially when in a defensless place like an out house! I don't have any info on them but I did see the skin or shell of a dead one in the North Desor outy.It had about 1.5 to 2 inch diameter with the legs open.Now thats motivation to finish the morning paper work! ;)
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

On My first trip, I remember the Rock Harbor pay showers being full of webs and giant spiders.
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

Did it look like the spider below? I was told these are harmless.
Attachments
IR Spider.PNG
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info