Bug report: July 19-26

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Spartan
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Bug report: July 19-26

Post by Spartan »

Wife and I just got back on Saturday from kayaking for a week (trip report to follow) and thought I'd give an update on the bug situation.

Mosquitos are in full force right now. This was our fourth paddling trip and they were about as bad as I can remember. Permethrin on clothes, picaridin repellent and the Thermocell burning often managed to keep them away, but at times nothing seemed to help. Out on the water they were not too bad, but portaging inland was a nightmare. The put-in at the north end of Chippewa is basically a total swamp right now and we were completely swarmed there.

The other thing we experienced on this trip that we haven't before is slugs. They seemed to be everywhere, and for as slowly as they move, it seemed like every time I turned my head, there was another one climbing up on some piece of gear. A simply finger flick gets rid of them, but it was somewhat annoying and gross.

Anyway, if you are getting geared up for a trip in the next week or two, be prepared for the bugs.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Bug report: July 19-26

Post by Ingo »

Spartan wrote:The other thing we experienced on this trip that we haven't before is slugs. They seemed to be everywhere...
We saw a lot too, which I didn't remember in the past. But I have plenty at home, so don't think too much about them.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
MattC
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Bug report: July 19-26

Post by MattC »

Good to know. Glad I treated my clothing and tent with permethrin. That stuff works wonders. Tried it out this weekend on a shakedown and kept most of the skeeters at bay versus when I was at same site 3 weeks prior I left looking like I had chicken pox. :oops:
Hopefully some of the cooler air that predicted to come through will calm their swarms down.