Lake Superior Ice Cover Map 2015

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Lake Superior Ice Cover Map 2015

Post by treeplanter »

This is from the Canadian Ice Cover Site. This is for January 9, 2015:

tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Re: Lake Superior Ice Cover Map 2015

Post by tree rattt »

Whats the official scoop on the ice around Isle Royal? I am beggining to wonder if the local tv weather man is obsessed with the big lake.Every chance they get, they put the satelite images of the lake on .....big screen HD.....I LOVE it!!! Wish I could freeze frame, but the boy tried to use the remote for a boat :( . Anyway looking at the satelite images ,do we have an Ice bridge???looks like it to my eye,but that could be wishful thinking.
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

You have to wait for a clear day to get a good look but these satellite images are a great way to see what is actually currently out there. The latest images appear to show a decent possibility of an ice bridge this season.

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/ ... p?region=s
treeplanter
May actually live on IR

Post by treeplanter »

If it stays as cold as it’s been lately, we may indeed see another ice bridge forming from the mainland to Isle Royale. The peak of Lake Superior ice is usually mid-March, so we have another six weeks to go.

Here’s the latest from the Canadian Ice site. The legend is at the bottom. Basically, there’s a lot of new lake ice surrounding the island.

tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I can' read that ice map, it's written in Canadian :) ..........sorry I couldn't resist.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Well, looks like there may be a chance. I know it doesn't take much ice to hold up my dog....and she is a Newfoundland.I don't think a wolf can be too much difference in weight.Lets all cross our fingers, and a couple of juicy steaks for the wolves on the IR shore couldn't hurt either.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR

Post by treeplanter »

Interesting. We’ve gone from new lake ice to thin lake ice in the matter of a few days. There’s even an area of moderate lake ice off the NE shore of the island. Of course one good wind storm could make it all open water again.

tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Yes, a quick change.

I am also watching the lake ice by the Apostle Island sea caves. We were there twice last year. We were also hoping that it would open up this year. It would help break the monotony of this long winter.If I hear anything I will post it.They make for a few good hours of enjoyment and are well worth it for those that haven't made the trip.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Guys, the wolves are doomed. Ice bridge or not, it isn't like there's a pack waiting in Grand Portage to get out to the island. There could be an ice bridge and a shuttle bus, they're still doomed.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

That much is pretty obvious,but there is always a chance.Besides it is the middle of winter and the snow is deep and the weather is cold.What else do we have to talk about? :)

I believe the pack that is up for the trip this year, is in the Thunder bay area.I have it on good authority that they even have their passports and work visa's preapproved with customs,because their are no customs officers on the island this time of year. ;)
treeplanter
May actually live on IR

Post by treeplanter »

It doesn’t take a whole pack to cross over to the island, all it takes is one. Look what the Old Grey Guy did back in 1997.

http://isleroyalewolf.org/node/40
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Quite true,however we did loose one last year.lets hope that we dont loose any this year. I was wondering if the wolves can smell that far.An odor on the wind could be a powerful incentive.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR

Post by treeplanter »

Which wasn't a surprise. The Biologist have always said that it's more likely wolves would leave Isle Royale on an ice bridge, than walk to the island.

Still, if this winter stays cold, and the advance forecast suggest that it will, another ice bridge may form. If that does happen, maybe some lone male or female will wander over to the island and change everything, like the Old Gray Guy did.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Since NPS isn't going to introduce any new wolves, I'm hoping for a crossing or three (if you're gonna wish, wish big right?) to at least prolong the inevitable.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR

Post by treeplanter »

Here's the latest ice map from the Canadian Ice website. Medium ice now extends from Isle Royale to the mainland. Medium ice is defined as being 15 - 30 centimeters thick (6" to 12").