Weather can kill you

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Weather can kill you

Post by johnhens »

I am posting an article about the death of a woman in the White Mtns in the NE that occured a few weeks ago. Most here will never spend time on IR in winter ( I have offered to overwinter to take care of Rock Harbor and Mott Island buildings but have yet to be taken up on my offer). Towards the end of the article is a line by one the rescue folks about the person possibly relying too much on technology. Good read regardless of whether you winter trek.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/0 ... story.html
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Re: Weather can kill you

Post by tree rattt »

Very interesting article.To my brain I think a team should have went to the first location and then attempted to track her.It is too easy to second guess someone elses judgement though.My experience with cell phones in the cold is unreliable at best.Pure and simple, when it is our time, its our time. No mater what the technology. No matter what we are doing.When our number is called thats it :( she just happed to be climbing a mt that day.That is my personal opinion though. A tradgety for sure.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

johnhens wrote:I have offered to overwinter to take care of Rock Harbor and Mott Island buildings but have yet to be taken up on my offer.
Here's why John. . . . .

A real tragedy for sure. There's a lot of speculation in the article. My first thought was the PLB wasn't activated soon enough but the need to find shelter makes that situation a real Catch-22. In my experience it almost always a combination of more than one unexpected occurrence that creates the real emergency.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Sad story. You have to question why someone would decide to do that given the forecast, or why someone would let a loved to attempt it.