It's still May on the Island

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

It's still May on the Island

Post by Tom »

Since folks often ask, "What's the weather like in the month of ..." I thought I would share what isn't uncommon for May. Yes, the Isle tends to be cooler than most places around.

To wit:
RECREATIONAL FORECAST FOR ISLE ROYALE NATIONAL PARK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MARQUETTE MI
407 AM EDT TUE MAY 19 2015
.TODAY...BREEZY...COOL. MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW
SHOWERS EARLY...THEN PARTLY SUNNY WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN AND
SNOW SHOWERS BY LATE MORNING. PARTLY CLOUDY BY MID AFTERNOON. HIGHS
40 TO 45. NORTH WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH DECREASING TO 5 TO 15 MPH BY LATE
MORNING...THEN BECOMING SOUTHWEST 5 TO 15 MPH BY LATE AFTERNOON.

Who doesn't love a little snow shower in the morning? A wind chill <30F? In mid May? :lol:
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: It's still May on the Island

Post by head2north »

And it is important to know that the weather forecast can be different than what is anticipated. I just returned from a two week boundary waters trip with a pleasant
weather forecast prior to departure. I do know better (or worse for this matter), the trip weather actually turned out to be almost all rain and cold.

I suppose the lesson (I know it is not a new one) is to expect the worse. I did and was comforted by the appropriate gear/clothes.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

head2north wrote:And it is important to know that the weather forecast can be different than what is anticipated. I just returned from a two week boundary waters trip with a pleasant
weather forecast prior to departure. I do know better (or worse for this matter), the trip weather actually turned out to be almost all rain and cold.

I suppose the lesson (I know it is not a new one) is to expect the worse. I did and was comforted by the appropriate gear/clothes.
How was the fishing?
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

johnhens wrote:How was the fishing?
Fishing was tough. I had planned on three walleye fish frys and ended up filleting a couple of Northern Pike to substitute.
I use artificial bait and it is best to use live minnows for walleye in the early season so that is my excuse.
(I should have tripped to some Lake Trout Lakes at this time of year for some easy action)

Plus I hung out under the tarp/camp fire most of the time so did not fish as much as usual.
D_Leone
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by D_Leone »

Heading up for the first time on the week of June 14-19.. what should I expect (be prepared for) for temperatures & bugs? Anything work to keep black flies away should they become a problem?
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

netting.... but really Deet keeps them from landing but dosent keep them away. Nothing beats a good headnet when the swarm is really bad.