Bugs

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Dreaming tree
NewbieCake

Bugs

Post by Dreaming tree »

Planning my first IR trip June 1-10. What can I expect for skeets and flys? I know it's impossible to know exactly. Just generally speaking.... Am I picking a good time to spend 10 days on IR?
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Re: Bugs

Post by drobarge »

After 25 or so visits, June is my favorite time!
You will have mosquitoes in some low areas during the day but not many. Most if not all places will have them at sunset for a half our or so.... Plenty tolerable.
Enjoy
Dreaming tree
NewbieCake

Post by Dreaming tree »

Great to hear! Thank you
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

There is a good chance you will run into black flies in early June. I personally find black flies to be more troublesome than mosquitoes. I would bring a headnet as a precaution.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

I was there last year during the the last week of May (Rock Harbor area) and there were no bugs at all anywhere near Lake Superior. Away from the Lake, both mosquitoes and black flies were starting to pop. The black flies were truly annoying in one spot I stopped at. I suspect early June will be the start of the serious bug season, so prepare for the worst.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Even with the heavy April snows, I would expect an early Black Fly outbreak as their season begins based on temperature. The lack of a deep solid freeze this past winter and El Nino warming should mean the Spring warm up will come a little sooner this year. But it still all depends on what happens with the weather.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013