GAle winds 8-3 thru 8-4

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

GAle winds 8-3 thru 8-4

Post by thesneakymonkey »

We just arrived in Houghton and spoke with some rangers at the visitors center. Tonight and tomorrow there are supposed to be gale winds :shock: and the Ranger III will likely be delayed. For anyone headed up tomorrow the rangers said to still plan to arrive on time and they will notify the group if and when the boat will depart Houghton. After Friday however, the weather looks really good on the island (lows in the 50s and highs in the 60s with clouds and sun). I am hoping the forcast shifts for the better tomorrow and we arrive with no issues.

Hanging out at the super 8 near the dock if anyone is around!
JavaHiker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: GAle winds 8-3 thru 8-4

Post by JavaHiker »

Update at 4:13 PM: "MAXIMUM WAVE HEIGHT OF UP TO 16 FEET POSSIBLE." I can handle rolling a kayak, but count me out when it comes to doing it vertically. Hope it works out for you Sneak..

URGENT - MARINE WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MARQUETTE MI
413 PM EDT THU AUG 3 2017

LAKE SUPERIOR FROM SAXON HARBOR WI TO UPPER ENTRANCE TO PORTAGE
CANAL MI 5NM OFF SHORE TO THE US/CANADIAN BORDER INCLUDING ISLE
ROYALE NATIONAL PARK-
413 PM EDT THU AUG 3 2017

...GALE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON
EDT FRIDAY...

A GALE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON
EDT FRIDAY.

* WIND AND WAVES DURING THE GALE WARNING: EXPECT SUSTAINED WINDS
OF UP TO 32 KNOTS FROM THE NORTH...WITH GUSTS UP TO 41 KNOTS.
THE LARGEST EXPECTED SIGNIFICANT WAVES WILL BE 11 FEET WITH A
MAXIMUM WAVE HEIGHT OF UP TO 16 FEET POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...THE MAXIMUM WINDS ARE EXPECTED AROUND 4 AM EDT FRIDAY
WITH THE LARGEST WAVES EXPECTED AROUND 6 AM EDT FRIDAY.

PLEASE SEE THE LATEST MARINE FORECASTS FOR MORE DETAILED
INFORMATION.

"Observe. Absorb. Create. Share."
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Marquette and Munising areas are now expecting up to 19 feet. All the east bound commercial ships presently located in the western area of the Lake are hugging the Minnesota shore and those in the eastern areas are racing for the Soo.

If anyone is scheduled to depart for the Island on Friday via any of the 3 departure locations (Houghton, Copper Harbor or Grand Portage) should still show up just in case, but I seriously doubt you will leave until Saturday and even then the Lake might not settle down until later in the day.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Well the boat is a go! Boarding soon. Guess the waves calmed a little. Took some Dramamine just in case.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Good to hear! Have a great trip. Current wave heights are around 4' as you leave the Portage Canal and 2.5' out closer to Isle Royale, so it should be calming as you go.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Pretty calm ride. Was expecting far worse with what the rangers were saying and the forecast. Only one puker on the boat so far and it's not us. Haha. I've had rougher rides on fishing charter boats and the mackinaw ferry.

Very pleased with the ranger 3 so far. The only downside so far is the 8 small children running around screaming with no parents in sight. Surprised to still have LTE service this far in. 3 hours down, 3 to go.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Good for you and the Ranger. Glad it was smooth enough. Direction of travel can make all the difference. I think you were pretty much heading directly into it. The departure probably would not have happened a couple of years ago when the previous captain had a greater aversion to rough seas. I see on the Marine Traffic website that the Queen just left Copper Harbor a few minutes ago (about 3 pm ET, a few hours behind schedule). The Queen is going to be late for dinner tonight in Copper Harbor. I will say though that all the ferry operators do their best to keep people moving on schedule and always seem to go above and beyond to make up for lost time yet always keeping safety as the number one priority. For some reason the Voyageur and Sea Hunter never show up on Marine Traffic. I wonder if the Sea Hunter made it out today. I do notice that all the commercial freight traffic in the eastern end of The Lake are today hugging the northern Canada shoreline.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013