Poison Ivy?

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Dryrot
NewbieCake

Poison Ivy?

Post by Dryrot »

I get a rash just thinking about poison ivy. How much is there on the island? Any particulary bad spots?
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: Poison Ivy?

Post by Keweenaw »

I've never seen it there. I checked with my wife, who checked her references and it apparently was once collected, according to the source:

"Along the Minong Ridge near Lane Cove".

Since the Minong Ridge does not extend over to Lane Cove, who knows? Probably meant Greenstone Ridge.

There are a few places where it grows in the Keweenaw, but it's pretty rare here as well.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

What I frequently hear from those in the know, is that there is NOT poison ivy on IR. Said people are pretty keen on IR knowledge, too, and I trust them.
Dryrot
NewbieCake

Post by Dryrot »

Thanks for the good news.
Ziggy
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Ziggy »

Keweenaw wrote:
"Along the Minong Ridge near Lane Cove".

Since the Minong Ridge does not extend over to Lane Cove, who knows? Probably meant Greenstone Ridge.

Bob

I talked with a ranger about an upcoming trip itinerary and he said that it can be found on the Stanley Ridge. The Stanley Ridge is somewhat of an extension of the Minong Ridge that is separated by McCargoe Cove. Perhaps this is what they were referring to.
The Coggster
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by The Coggster »

I've never even seen it in the UP The furthest north I've seen it is Sleeping Bear Dunes
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

I know of three places for sure around me. Base of Brockway Mountain (below the lookout), Bear Lake (near McLain State Park) and near our cabin just south of Houghton.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather