July 4-11

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

twqb
NewbieCake

July 4-11

Post by twqb »

What kind of weather and bugs can I expect this time of year?
zentater
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: July 4-11

Post by zentater »

I was there last year and that is my only basis for a response

It was fairly warm (okay - hot (80's) especially inland and the mosquitoes were relentless...my head net was the best 5 bucks I had ever spent at that point in time.

On the Lake (superior) it can get cool at night especially if it rained.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

twqb wrote:What kind of weather and bugs can I expect this time of year?
If you check the current forecasts of IR, the inland temps on the ridges are in the 80's with shore temps in the mid to high 50's. Bugs, bring a head net!!!!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

As John H alluded, there are lots of micro climates on the island. One day in late July I started with long underwear top and bottom, pants (of course), long sleeve shirt, fleece pullover, and rain jacket. In a couple hours I was down to shorts and t-shirt.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Blackflies should be all through by now but we have had some wet weather so mosquitoes could be nasty depending on where they are in their life cycles.

Weather really could be anything, but I wouldn't rule out some thunderstorms.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
rxgac
NewbieCake

Post by rxgac »

We just got off island thursday the 25th. bugs weren't bad, but maybe i expected worse. must depend a lot on timing. we did the feldtmann loop and had almost no problems at feldtmann, but a couple groups we passed while on the siskiwit trail and then met again at washington creek, said feldtmann was terrible. i did pretreat our outer wear with permethrin and we use picaridin for exposed skin. i also found that a good cigar while fishing at feldtmann deterred the little buggers. just wish i had taken something to wet my dry throat with, if you catch my drift.