UP state bird

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

walker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

UP state bird

Post by walker »

What is the best repellant to use against the mosquitoes?
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: UP state bird

Post by johnhens »

Everyone has their favorite for brand, but as long as it has at least 30% DEET you should be fine. Someone did tests comparing different strengths of DEET and found that there isn't that much more effectiveness of 100% DEET over 30% Deet and the higher concentration DEET had more of a tendency to affect nylon, polysester, polypropelene and the like.
walker
NewbieCake

Post by walker »

johnhens wrote:Everyone has their favorite for brand, but as long as it has at least 30% DEET you should be fine. Someone did tests comparing different strengths of DEET and found that there isn't that much more effectiveness of 100% DEET over 30% Deet and the higher concentration DEET had more of a tendency to affect nylon, polysester, polypropelene and the like.
Thanks, have you ever used a Thermocell?
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

To be honest with you, we go either early or late and usually don't bring bug repellant. In fact I can't tell you the last time I put DEET on.
Never heard of Thermocell, I usually use Uncle Bens.
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

walker wrote:
johnhens wrote:Everyone has their favorite for brand, but as long as it has at least 30% DEET you should be fine. Someone did tests comparing different strengths of DEET and found that there isn't that much more effectiveness of 100% DEET over 30% Deet and the higher concentration DEET had more of a tendency to affect nylon, polysester, polypropelene and the like.

I just bought a thermacell and will be taking with us next week, will let you know on my TR how it works. Last weekend thought camping someone had the lantern out of saturday night and I didn't notice one bug all night, the night before it was horrible. Not sure if it was the lantern or the weather but I just bought one.
ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by ScoutDad »

3m Ultrathon worksgreat for me.

Also, spraying permethrin on your clothing repels the skeeters as well. Sawyer makes a pre mixed aerosol permethrin spray, but I found a bottle of the straight stuff at Cabella's in Dundee and mix it elf. The permethrin lasts through 2 to 3 washings.
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
walker
NewbieCake

Post by walker »

colvinch wrote:
walker wrote:

I just bought a thermacell and will be taking with us next week, will let you know on my TR how it works. Last weekend thought camping someone had the lantern out of saturday night and I didn't notice one bug all night, the night before it was horrible. Not sure if it was the lantern or the weather but I just bought one.
Excellent, let me know how you fare with the Thermocell, I don’t need any extra weight to carry.
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

I bought a thermacell last year and thought is was very helpful. I do think it made a difference. I bought this one but there is a smaller one too. The one I have is a bit bulky to pack but to me it was worth it. Just be sure to bring some extra refills as you will need them.

http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/camping-lantern.asp
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

Here is a photo of Michigan's State Bird I took along side the highway..
cone.jpg
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

I don't remember which issue it was but, a recent Backpacker Magazine article mentioned that its testers/editors were in some pretty bad mosquito territory and the Repel Lemon Eucalyptus repellent worked pretty well. Here's a link to it on their website: http://www.repel.com/ProductCategories/ ... ucalyptus/.
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

walker wrote:
colvinch wrote:
walker wrote:

Excellent, let me know how you fare with the Thermocell, I don’t need any extra weight to carry.[/quote]

The Thermocell worked great, I'm glad I got it. You get about a 15 foot cirlcle (depending on wind) around it that will not have one bug in it but outside that watchout those skeeters are pissed