parka?

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

parka?

Post by Ingo »

Been looking at the weather up there and getting reports of 38 degs in Eau Claire in July. Do I need to pack my parka? :mrgreen:
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: parka?

Post by moss13 »

It has been a cool summer overall here in Mn Ingo. Last weekend I was at a friend's BBQ. It was cloudy and in the 50's. We picked up some firewood for a bonfire. While I love fall weather, I don't care for it in JULY! I would plan on it being on the cool side this year and if it is nice and warm then that is a bonus!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

!

Post by Ingo »

Yeh, we've had some fall like days in NC too--but down here that's Nirvana in July :D . Got silk long johns and top, shirt, fleece, and rain gear. Should be OK!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Ingo wrote:Been looking at the weather up there and getting reports of 38 degs in Eau Claire in July. Do I need to pack my parka? :mrgreen:
I would bring ice skates, be the first to "skate" on IR in July!! :lol: :lol:
moss13
Trailblazer

Re: !

Post by moss13 »

Ingo wrote:Yeh, we've had some fall like days in NC too--but down here that's Nirvana in July :D . Got silk long johns and top, shirt, fleece, and rain gear. Should be OK!

No need for all that extra gear. Just wear a bearskin loincloth. That should keep you nice and toasty! :mrgreen:
"The Island Is Calling"
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

moss13 wrote:
Ingo wrote:Yeh, we've had some fall like days in NC too--but down here that's Nirvana in July :D . Got silk long johns and top, shirt, fleece, and rain gear. Should be OK!
No need for all that extra gear. Just wear a bearskin loincloth. That should keep you nice and toasty! :mrgreen:
Hmmmmmm :shock:
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

moss13 wrote:

moss, something you would care to share with the class?? :lol: :lol:
moss13
Trailblazer

Post by moss13 »

LOL! Ok I will share. I was looking for info online last night about a certain river and came across a forum topic on camping. Well there was quite the debate going on about the different types of camping. On one side you had the folks who prefer "car camping", you know, the kind at a park where the car is no more than 20 feet away from your tent. Then you had the folks like us who like to get deep in the backcountry. Well a certain "car camper" referred to Isle Royale and the Boundary Waters as "extreme camping" and did not understand why we would go to such lengths to go camping. My my how they judge without trying it. Anyhoo one guy was getting fed up with the debate and posted his thoughts on what "real" camping is and his response was the quote of the day!

"Real camping is a bunch of men wearing only bearskin loincloths"

I have never heard that term before and was laughing pretty good at that one. Anyway that is where it came from. I think I would be frightened if I came across a group of campers wearing that!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

You've made me think of this self portrait of my great grandfather:
http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresou ... eid=178968
moss13
Trailblazer

Post by moss13 »

Wow, now that is real camping Ingo. I see a deer hanging from a tree and another deer or something else behind him. Great piece of history there.
"The Island Is Calling"
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

awesome photo Ingo!
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

moss13 wrote: "Real camping is a bunch of men wearing only bearskin loincloths"
Perhaps we should make that the "official" IR Forums garment of choice!!! :)
zentater
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by zentater »

so long as it stays in the "forums" :)

of course the mosquitoes would enjoy the extra exposure!