bug repellent

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

walker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

bug repellent

Post by walker »

how would a tobacco pipe fare against mosquitoes on the island?
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: bug repellent

Post by johnhens »

Depending on the tobacco, a good cherry for instance, smoked mosquitoes can be quite good!! :D
ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by ScoutDad »

I'd say hitting them with a pipe would do it! :wink:

I did read once taking garlic pills keeps them away; and anyone else in the area I bet...
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Vandy »

A number of years ago I remember watching a Backpacker magazine sponsored show that followed several people as they thru hiked the AT. One of the items they found that helped to repel bugs was Bounce dryer sheets.

Does anyone have any experience with those working?

If nothing else they'd make our gear smell better, right?
Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Mandolynn »

Once someone told me that carrying Bounce dryer sheets in your coat pocket in winter would prevent being shocked by static electricity when touching door knobs, etc.

What they failed to mention was that the concentrated perfume from a dryer sheet is strong enough to gag most people after a few minutes. Also, it's slightly oily and eventually stains whatever it touches.

I don't know what bugs would think of it, but I can't imagine that it would keep them from biting you unless you were wrapped in it.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

My mother recently passed along this link to me and asked if I had ever used this solution while hiking or had heard of anyone using it. I've never had experience using it, and I don't know of anyone who's used it. As a matter of fact, I had never heard of it before, but when I did some research I found several other resources on the internet. The bug repellent solution is an herbal concoction called "The Vinegar of the Four Thieves" and I may actually give it a try in May 2010 for our next scheduled Isle Royale trip. Here's a link to check it out: http://www.bulkherbstore.com/The-Vinega ... ur-Thieves (There's also some readers testimonials at the bottom of the page).
blackdog51
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by blackdog51 »

I've used permethrin with good results on the SHT. Just follow the directions carefully and keep it away from your cat!
Enidgenevieve
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Enidgenevieve »

Factors determine the repellent product performance and side effects, some toxic product is not suitable for children to use large, young parents are bound to be too small to buy eco-friendly children's insect repellent products.