Beetles

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Mikeczy1
NewbieCake

Beetles

Post by Mikeczy1 »

On June 15, most of the trail from Windigo to Island Mine Camp was covered with large numbers of black beetles. They all seemed to be in engaged in a frantic mating ritual. You couldn’t avoid stepping on them. The next day, and for the rest of the trip, there were few to be seen.

Anyone know what they were? Was this a common occurrence along this section of trail?
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Beetles

Post by johnhens »

Any pics?
Mikeczy1
NewbieCake

Post by Mikeczy1 »

I have videos. They moved fast. However, I did have one (not very dramatic) picture which shows two of them.
beetles.jpg
FYI. I tried to identify the beetles by searching for information on the web. I didn’t find the information I was searching for, but I did come across a 1909 book which Google recently digitzed and made available free on the web. “An ecological survey of Isle Royale, Lake Superior”. This might already be old news to readers of this website, but just in case, here is a link.

http://books.google.com/books?id=xAtOAA ... ry_r&cad=0
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Mike,
Thanks for posting the link, I had not seen that.
Looks to be interesting reading!
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

If you are interested you can post a picture of any insect at www.bugguide.net (click on the ID Request tab). You will need to register. After that amateur and expert professional entomologists will give you an ID if possible from the picture.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather