Out of shape!

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

lori
NewbieCake

Out of shape!

Post by lori »

On September 4, I will be backpacking for the FIRST time...have never done anything in the woods....and am not in great physical shape. Our plan at this point is to try to take a boat over to McCargoe Cove and hike back to Rock Harbor. Does anyone have words of advice for me in preparing physically? I know it's a little too late...but I figure I have to try. I'm walking up the stadium stairs with my pack on...and am wondering if this will be enough? Thanks. Lori
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Out of shape!

Post by Don_P »

Welcome to the forum. Climbing up the stadium steps is a good start - provided you do this quite a bit and with your hiking boots on in addition to your pack. If you have access to a treadmill, walking with the incline set as high as it goes is also good.

Not sure how long your trip is but take your time - rushing on your first backpacking trip is not a good thing (I speak from experience).
Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Mandolynn »

Hi Lori,
Are you hiking as part of a group, or are you going by yourself?
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Since you say it's your first backpacking trip, a few suggestions:
- Pack fit makes a HUGE difference toward comfort on the trail. Either work with a local shop that helps you get fit, or take the time at home adjusting all the straps, etc, until it feels right.
- Like Don_P says, take your time. The route you select is a good one; you won't have to have any really long days. The average backpacker probably travels at 2mph - But there is no harm in averaging 1... Don't hesitate to drop packs and rest along the way. Just know your limits, and listen to what your body is telling you.

The fortunate thing is that for the most part, the hardest part of your journey will be early on; climbing up the North side of the Greenstone from McCargoe. Once on the South face, the trails aren't nearly as tiring..

Good luck! Your first trip could easily lead to an addiction!
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Don_P and Tom give good advice. Also train with a backpack that will be close in weight to that which you'll be hiking. I usually work up to that weight, but you're pretty close to your departure date. Look forward to your trip report.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

I find that taking smoke breaks while backpacking helps me.

If you are new to backpacking, my biggest advice, and what might help you feel more fit, is to get rid of stuff you won't need. In other words, carry less weight. When you are done with this trip, take note of what you carried that you didn't need--actually, you'll take note of that stuff as you're walking.

Honestly though, it sounds like you are doing more than a lot of people to get ready. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Just take it easy, and take plenty of breaks--that's when you see more cool stuff anyway.

Have a great time.
lori
NewbieCake

Post by lori »

I am going with my husband, who is accustomed to Boundary Waters and portaging with a canoe. So this is his first time backpacking also. We are planning on 5 to 7 days trip, depending on my body and the whole experience....
Thanks for all the advise...I was worried that I bit more off than I should have...now I have a mission and hope.
Also...is a tarp necessary? The lightweight ones are around $90...and we have no idea if we are going to like this experience...so before spending any more money...I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks. Lori
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

As long as I have a tent, I'm okay without the tarp. Extra weight for me. If you're willing to carry it (I'm not), you can do lots with it.
Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Mandolynn »

Hey Lori,
I just asked because I wondered who was going to set the pace for the hike. If it's you and your husband, then you will have a lot of say so in the rate at which you hike, so hopefully that will help.

Good luck and have fun!
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi Lori,

5-7 days should make for a nice easy pace. I would recommend when you get off the boat at McCargoe - if it's raining and a shelter is available, grab it an stay there for the night. If it's not raining hike to West Chickenbone - it's a pretty easy short hike that trends uphill but is not bad. The next day hike to Lake Richie and if you are not too beat hike on to Moskey Basin; if you ARE too beat, stay at Richie and go to Moskey the next day. Then Moskey to Daisy Farm and finally either Daisy Farm to Rock Harbor or stay at at Threemile. Take the Tobin Harbor Trail rather than the Rock Harbor Trail from Threemile to RH; it looks a little longer on the map, but is a much easier walk.

The main thing to make sure of prior to leaving is that your boots are well broken in. If they are at all still new and stiff you WILL have blisters.

Good luck!

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

If you are out of shape as you say, make sure you are drinking lots of water to prevent cramping of your leg muscles.
Take plenty of vitamin I (Advil ect).
The best advice I can give you and anyone else is to stretch in the morning and start out slow to give your muscles time to warm up. I usually start up at a very slow pace allowing my muscles to warm up for about 45 minutes before gradually picking up the pace. If you are starting out with a climb in the AM, it is a good idea if you can to walk some before attempting the climb and take it slow!!!