How are the bugs now and in first week of Sept?

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

How are the bugs now and in first week of Sept?

Post by srparr »

Anyone returned from the island recently? It has been a farily cool summer ... has that kept numbers down?

I usually go in July (when mosquitos are fierce), but my schedule opened up and I can make a second trip up the first week of September this year. From what I've seen in past trip reports it sounds like I can expect that the bugs will be gone or very few. Nothing guaranteed, of course, but what have you all experienced?
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: How are the bugs now and in first week of Sept?

Post by Don_P »

My experience this time of the year is very tame bugs. They've buzzed around but few if any bites. We are on the boat from Copper Harbor this Saturday and are not bringing bug dope or nets.
srparr
Trailblazer

Post by srparr »

Thanks for the input!
Don_P wrote:... We are on the boat from Copper Harbor this Saturday and are not bringing bug dope or nets.
That's good news! It is always much more pleasant to be able to sit around camp in the evening without bugs forcing us to cover up with netting!
srparr
Trailblazer

Post by srparr »

Well, I just got back from a beautiful week on the island, but I have to say the reports of mosquito demise are greatly exaggerated!

Probably due to the big rainstorm at the end of August, followed by warm temperatures. They were less numerous than in July (one or two at a time rather than a dozen or so), and they seemed more sluggish and easier to kill.

A good breeze did keep them away, but in some places (Hatchett Lake trail, Chippewa Harbor trail) where there was little air movement they were quite pesky.

Don_P: What was your experience in August?
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Aug 25th - Sept 5 we had very few problems with mosquitoes. They came at us mostly by ones and twos. I contributed very little blood to the reproduction of the island's mosquito population. Most died in the attempt. Only at McCargoe Cove did they chase us inside. There they came 6 or 8 at a time. Never in swarms.

I never had to take out my bug nets. We did however have long pants and shirts and used DEET on occasion.
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Don_P »

Don_P: What was your experience in August?[/quote]

Not good on the mosquito front, probably for the reasons you suggested. We stupidly left bug spray at home and as result all had many, many bites. The week we were there (after monsoon weekend) was very warm and calm.

Next time the bug dope comes.
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

I just came off the Island on Friday 9/18. The bugs were for the most part completely gone. Never used deet. There were a few in the places you would most expect them.