Moose Encounter: A How-to

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Moose Encounter: A How-to

Post by Tampico »

While it is unlikely you'll encounter an aggressive Moose on the island, there are ways to deal with them...
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Moose Encounter: A How-to

Post by fonixmunkee »

You sure it's not the gutteral Scandinavian grunting he's doing? :shock:

In all honesty, I've heard from very reputable sources that trying to make yourself appear bigger than you are (such as making a rack of "moose antlers" with a tree branch over your head) is actually effective in deterring a charging moose.

Of course the best way to handle a charging moose is to not be put in that situation.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Let's hope none of us ever are in such a situation.

However, also proof that moose can be docile and inquisitive animals (not to mention perhaps not too bright) take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYBn4u0n5bI

No moose were harmed in the making of this video... Although a pair of shorts may need cleaning. Good thing momma didn't determine the humans were a threat to the calf...
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

I would suggest not getting knocked over by the animal or taking to the ground, especially not with a mother and it's calf. If you watch the first two videos, you will see that the mother tries to trample all threats to her baby. In the first video, an individual on a college campus gets too close to the mother and her calf. It was stupidity on the individuals part, but watch what happens to her or him once the moose topples the person to the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe5wVeEChTw

In this next video you will observe a pack of wolves trying to attack a calf. The mother does her best to protect her baby, but the onslaught of wolves attacking the baby in several directions leaves the mother overmatched. During the video, you will notice how the moose tries to hoof at the wolves. In the end, the only thing she really ends up trampling on is her calf which is left dazed and confused while being tugged at by the jaws of the wolves. She eventually gives up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMC7aZNXnL8

Now if you get in a position like the guy in the below video, where you are getting rushed by a Bull, perhaps taking to the ground and fleeing under surrounding brush could save you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmN_fDkE ... re=related

Any to lighten things up a bit, here is a funny clumsy moose video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEaFbzKylJ8
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I used to wonder which instinct (the rutt or motherhood) would be harder to deal with. I have had a couple of close encounters where I was lucky enough to be downwind. Standing motionless and quiet reinforced the idea of their poor eyesight. I seemed to go totally unnoticed as the moose passed within a few yards.

I was in a shelter at dawn one autumn morning at Washington Creek as I awoke to the sound of a Marine platoon hitting the beach. The sound was horrendous but the worst came a few seconds later when I thought the shelter was going to come crashing down. After waiting several minutes I went outside to examine the affair. I found the siding freshly scratched up and scarred and a nearby tree destroyed. It had been a 3 or 4 inch tree, maybe 8 or 10 feet tall. Every limb and almost every square inch of bark was missing. After beating his antlers against the shelter I believe the bull had caught the tree in an antler fork and stripped it clean as he stood up.

I know of one fellow’s encounter with a rutting bull on IR where he was kept trapped in an outhouse for a few hours.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Midwest Ed wrote:I used to wonder which instinct (the rutt or motherhood) would be harder to deal with.
My observation, at least in terms of IR moose, is that motherhood is easier to deal with. It's a predictable behavior for the most part, and the IR moms are quite tolerant of humans, and in fact have starting bring calves toward populated areas to aid in protection. The biggest risk is walking down a trail and not realizing you've come between momma and calf, who might be on opposite sides of the trail.
A bull in rut, however, is irratic. Those hormones are tough to deal with, I guess. Pair aggression with that set of antlers, and I'll take a close mom encounter any day of the week.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Tom wrote:My observation, at least in terms of IR moose, is that motherhood is easier to deal with. . . . A bull in rut, however, is irratic.
I concur wholeheartedly. We used to joke about the potential deterrent effectiveness of soiled socks placed on the end of a hiking stick. :oops:

I still rather deal with any moose over a bear, period. The lack of bears was one of the initial attractions of IR for me.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013