Study of Black Bear caused deaths

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Study of Black Bear caused deaths

Post by johnhens »

While IR does not have a black bear population, many here frequent other areas of the Great Lakes where black bears live.
Thought some would be interested in the article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/science/11bears.html
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: Study of Black Bear caused deaths

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi John,

Can you give a synopsis of the article? The NYT wants me to create an account in order to read it.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

I was able to read it without creating an account.

Basicly, black bear attacks on people account for few of the deaths from bear attacks. Only 63 have died from attacks in the last 109 years. While there are 15 times as many black bears as grizzlies, grizzlies kill twice as many people.

There have been more attacks by black bears in recent years, but probably because more people are visiting black bear habitat. 88% of attacks involved bears on the prowl, probably for food and of those 92% were male. If attacked by a bear looking for food, stand your ground, look and sound big - convince the bear that you're not easy prey.

Try again to read the article, though.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

From the end of the article:
".. people should behave differently around different bears. With a mother defending cubs, “you just back away calmly and give it some space,” Dr. Herrero said. “With a predatory bear, you stand your ground, stomp at it, throw rocks at it, whatever you need to do to convince it you’re not easy prey.”

Never run from bears, and always discourage them with bear spray, portable electric fencing and bear-resistant food containers..."
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH