Wolves on IR

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

greg
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 28

Wolves on IR

Post by greg »

I just completed my 28th trip to Isle Royale (my fourth this season) and I was struck by the absence of wolf sign. Across those four trips I saw barely any wolf scat and only a couple prints. The reduction of the wolf population to 9 animals leaves me feeling very concerned about their future on the island. In camp on several evenings I thought about how it would feel to visit Isle Royale without any wolves left on it. While nature takes its immutable course, those thoughts left me feeling sad. I know there has been a great deal of discussion among Isle Royale visitors and within the schientific community that work to study the moose-wolf connection on the Island, but I wonder what, if any, discussion takes place within the Park Service. I also wonder if it would be preferable to introduce some new genes into the wolf population in the form of a young but breedable female to replenish the pack structure. At any rate, what do you folks think about the wolf situaiton on Isle Royale? What do you see happening over the next couple years in terms of wolves surviving on the Island? What would you like to see the NPS do or not do?
Greg M. Romaneck
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Wolves on IR

Post by johnhens »

Greg,
If new wolves are introduced, will they not interbreed eventually with the existing wolves and pass on the genetic deformity that currently is in the population?
I think if the existing population were to go extinct, a new population should be started. I would be a proponent of leaving nature to take its course, ie do not introduce a new population till the existing population is gone. For the most part, this is the way the population has existed (othere than a failed attempt to introduce new wolves in the past).
I am pretty sure there has been a discussion between the researchers and the NPS about options.

How was your trip? Where did you go? Any mention of the fire along the Minong? Are the trees changing?
greg
NewbieCake

Post by greg »

Interesting-I do understand your point about the introduction of wolves or a female breeding wolf as a short term fix but there may be some value to the adaptive genes of the current wolf population that has been on the island for about ten generations or more. I was at an evening talk with the Peterson's at Daisy Farm about a week and a half ago and they advocated for a partial reintroduction just for that reason. I am of a mixed mind myself but I do wonder if the NPS would reintroduce after the crash of the wolf population. I also came away with the impression that the NPS was not necessarily thinking that far ahead in terms of the wolves and potential reintroduction. I still think that it would be a true loss to let the wolves wink out on the island. With the limited number of ice bridges that now occur linked to climate change, it seems inprobable that an incursion of new genes will occur in that way in the near future. I also wonder what the combined effects of climate change and the potential loss of wolves as predators will have on the moose population. At any rate, change is coming on IR in terms of the wolf-moose interaction and it may not be what we would hope for.

I took four different trips this year, each of which was slightly different:

Late May-Solo trip on the Fedtman Loop with a great deal of spring wildflowers present. Lots of moose activity near Feldtman Lake and along Washington Creek.

Mid-June-Rock Harbor to Windigo via the Greenstone with my eldest son

Late July-I led a wilderness retreat with four school administrators (3 of whom had never backpacked before) that went out to Chippewah Harbor and back

Early September-Solo hiked for a week out to McCargo/Moskey/Along the Greenstone from Mt. Ojibwa to Mount Franklin/Rock Harbor-No real color change and one bull moose up close and personal-two big stroms and wonderful weather otherwise-great trips all season.
Greg M. Romaneck
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

I say let them be. I don't like the idea of a island without wolves or moose, but that's the way things go in nature. They've been there for less than 100 years, which is almost immeasurable in geologic time.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Greg,
Thanks for the insight as to Rolf's thinking. I could see the reason for maintaining acquired traits, did not think about it. Any mention of pups for this year?
Any insight into the wolves found in the hole? Do you know if the wolves have fed any more on apples as in the past?
greg
NewbieCake

Post by greg »

According to the Peterson's the three wolves that fell into the old mine pit near Todd Harbor probably were crossing over it when it was covered by snow and ice. Once they broke through the snow/ice cover they were unable to climb back out. In winter, with the sides of the pit covered in ice, it was impossible for them to get out and they drowned. The effect on their pack was devastating. The Peterson's referred to behaviors by the wolves that indicated significant disfunction and inertia in the remaining six wolves. In a wider environment such as the mainland, an incident like this could quite probably result in the dissolution of a pack with remaining members disbursing. On the island, that is not an option as the territory is so confined. No observation of pups right now but they really won't know until the winter study. Best hope for pups would be with the Windigo pair. At this time there are six wolves left in what was the Chippewah Harbor Pack, a pair of wolves on the Windigo end, and one dispersed wolf. I do understand nature taking its course but Isle Royale will be a very different place to visit without wolves and with a moose population that will be stressed by climate change, over grazing, and the absence of a predator.
Greg M. Romaneck
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

We had A LOT of wolf activity in our backcountry site across from Grace Island. Fresh wolf tracks every day. It appeared to be only one wolf though. He did manage to feast off of a calf on Sept. 29th. The most bone chilling sound I ever heard.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Greg, I'm the old guy that spoke with you in the summer of 2011 on the V2 (picked up at Chippewa H.) about seeing a wolf on the Indian Portage trail. I too would miss seeing/hearing wolves at ISRO if they disappear from the island. If that would happen I worry that the moose population would again grow so large that they would impact tree growth, etc. If that would happen perhaps a two healthy couples (male/female) from Minnesota or Canada could be dropped off at the east and west ends of the island. I love seeing evidence of them on the trail or hearing/seeing them.
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by bergman »

Tampico is right about the wolves on isle royale only being there since 1948. But the national park status isnt much more than a decade older than that. The park's character will change immeasurably without the majesty&mystique of the wolf. Not only are they at the top of the food chain on the island, but they also respect or fear us so that we are not part of the food chain. You cannot make that claim as to other carnivores such as the bear or cougar. The wolf in some sense is a brother to us, which is at the heart of our fascination with them.

The NPS should not intervene as long as there is at least one female among the population, even if that female is not yet of breeding age. Once the point is reached where the wolves cannot reproduce, 2 or 3 females should be introduced. I'm only guessing that it is a distinct advantage for the males to have their current familiarity with the island and its terrain; hopefully, this is not a silly notion.

Finally, pure nature has not "taken its course" to date, as the 19th century mineshaft that claimed the lives of 3animals, including a FEMALE, was man-made; and the shaft does not mimic the natural terrain of the island, rather it is an anomaly. Isle Royale without wolves is like a Christmas tree without any lights.
Last edited by bergman on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

I'm not sure that i would visit the park without wolves. The chance of actually seeing a wolf in the park is very slim; however, many visitors do hear them. On my first visit to the park i woke up @4am at moskey basin, hearing a few wolves howl. (I know loon calls well & can distinguish them from the wolf).

It's like playing powerball: u know you're not likely to actually see a wolf in the park, but yet it is thrilling to know there is always a real chance. Yes, there are opportunities to see a wolf elsewhere in the upper midwest, but to see a wolf in true wilderness; that is fairly unique to isle royale.

NPS should survey park visitors to see if there is a significant percentage of visitors that would choose not to return. This would be useful information ($!) to inform NPS policy on keeping wolves on Isle Royale.
Last edited by bergman on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greg
NewbieCake

Post by greg »

Jerry-I do remember meeting you on the Voyageur II. I hope you have found your way back out to the Island over the past year. I look forward to returning to the Island next Spring. Perhaps our paths will cross again but, if not, it was my pleasure to meet you.
Greg M. Romaneck
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

I am fairly certain that it was not the familiar mine pit near Todd Harbor (and marked on the park map) that claimed the 3 wolves from the Chippewa Harbor pack in early winter 2011, but rather a heretofore "undiscovered" mine shaft that is a bit off trail and a good distance from the Todd harbor outpost.

I wonder if it wasnt the young female (born 2011) that got "in trouble" first, then Romeo tried to help her, and then Romeo's dad (alpha male) felt obligated to help as well. Actually, i dont know that the genetic testing has been completed to verify it was the alpha, but his old back leg fracture probably made identification by DNA unnecessary.

Wolves are not lemmings, but given their strong social structure and affinity for animals within their own pack, however sad the tragic outcome, it makes me feel better to believe that this is the way it likely happened.
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

johnhens wrote:I would be a proponent of leaving nature to take its course, ie do not introduce a new population till the existing population is gone. For the most part, this is the way the population has existed (other than a failed attempt to introduce new wolves in the past).
Just thought i'd comment that the failed attempt was back around the same time that a pair of wolves (male&female) managed to cross the ice bridge from Canada - about 1948; and so its been about 2/3 of a century since the NPS "meddled" (no negative connotation intended) with mother nature, as far as introducing new wolves to the island.

It seems odd that 2(?) winters ago, the Chippewa pack (9 animals strong) decided to seek out and kill the alpha male in both the Middle Pack (west part of the island) and the Paduka Pack ( west/central part), when they already controlled the entire eastern half of the island, and at a time when moose numbers were increasing.

Now we know that within a year or so of taking out the other two alpha males, the Chippewa pack lost its two strongest (physically) members-the alpha male and Romeo. Its no wonder the population is at risk. Let's hope for news of pups on the.west end of the park (ideally wearing a pink ribbon) sighted by the winter study team. That would be awesome.
naomiswanson

Post by naomiswanson »

The national Park service particularly on Isle of royal as well as the researcher are planning not to take wolf to the Isle island. But want some more wolves on Isle Royal? Basically, I would prefer to have some wolves in the Isle of Royale it makes some more attraction to the visitors and guests.I consider this as a free historic event in Isle Royale.
j 1
NewbieCake

Post by j 1 »

Let wild places, be wild!

Enter at your own risk.

No tinkering allowed.

L-N-T.
"For we are the local embodiment of a Cosmos grown to self-awareness...We speak for Earth." Carl Sagan