Adding or Reintroducing Wolves to IR

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

Should wolves be added or reintroduced to IR?

Add wolves to the existing population.
50%
Reintroduce wolves after the current population is gone.
31%
Wolves should not be re-introduced via the NPS if they die off.
19%

Total votes: 54

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Adding or Reintroducing Wolves to IR

Post by johnhens »

There has been discussion here and elsewhere of the status of IR wolves.
Should more wolves be added to the population?
Should the NPS let nature take its course and reintroduce later?
Should the wolves die off, should any wolves be introduced?

I thought an informal poll would be interesting to gauge the thoughts of the folks here.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Adding or Reintroducing Wolves to IR

Post by jrwiesz »

After reading the study findings, the low ebb should, hopefully, be on the upswing.

Perhaps, an upswing for the fox and raven, also? :)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by bergman »

After seeing isabelle's experience when she tried to join what is now the west end trio ( and now knowing about half of the 8 wolves are female), my earlier idea of introducing a couple gals from Hurley's red light district is not a good one. If there is another year without reproduction, i would vote for introducing 1 or 2 males. Another option might be to release one of each sex simultaneously in an area of the park well outside the existing two packs' current territory - Blake Point duo (release them from Merritt Lane).
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

I wrote in a earlier post, when I was the artist formerly know as j 1: http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 919#p13919

"Let wild places, be wild!

Enter at your own risk.

No tinkering allowed.

L-N-T."

It will work itself out, on its own.
Mans record, with "intervention", is poor.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

It would be great if things could work out "on their own". However, due to global warming and the vastly reduced likelihood of any future ice bridges, by definition "it" cannot. And it cannot because of man's intervention in the form of climate change.

Isle Royale's situation is somewhat unique in that the first wolf pair crossed an ice bridge to get to the island. (Unless they grow wings, they've no other way to get to the park on their own). I don't really know how many other wolves crossed over on the ice since 1948, except for the 1998 crossing by a male who became an alpha and did his best to perpetuate his own genetic pool (?).

If anyone would know how best to "tinker" with the wolf population, it is the Isle Royale scientists who have the ability to draw upon the data and insights gathered over 55 years in the longest running predator-prey study on the planet. It must be quite rare for a population intervention strategy to have the benefit of such extended observation and research.
Last edited by bergman on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

bergman wrote:However, due to global warming and the vastly reduced likelihood of any future ice bridges, ...
Cite, please.
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

Citation for which point: 1) That the planet is a sphere; or 2) ice bridges are never man-made.?

If u keep picking on me, Tampico, I'm not gonna portage your boat! :)
Last edited by bergman on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

Wow!

This board is going the way of, The Straight Dope.
Jim DuFresne
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

I guess one is not entitled to an opinion. :?:
Jim DuFresne
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

Well, of course that depends, yours or mine? :)

Approximately 15 months prior to the 3 wolves falling victim to the mine pit (and 7 months before I suddenly lost my dad to bladder cancer), I had a simultaneous face-to-face encounter with the 2 males. So it was quite sad for me to hear that news. I suppose I am too emotionally invested to contribute an unbiased opinion on this thread...
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

bergman wrote:Citation for which point: 1) That the planet is a sphere; or 2) ice bridges are never man-made.?
That so-called "global warming" is responsible for the lack of an ice-bridge from the Arrowhead to ISRO this year, and that the likelihood of future ice-bridges is "vastly reduced" due to the same "phenomenon."
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Food for thought from those who know the I.R. wolves better than anyone else:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/opini ... -park.html
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tom
Forum Moderator

Post by Tom »

Here is a followup Q/A regarding the NYTimes piece, talking about genetic rescue:
http://www.minnpost.com/earth-journal/2 ... tic-rescue
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Tampico wrote:
bergman wrote:Citation for which point: 1) That the planet is a sphere; or 2) ice bridges are never man-made.?
That so-called "global warming" is responsible for the lack of an ice-bridge from the Arrowhead to ISRO this year, and that the likelihood of future ice-bridges is "vastly reduced" due to the same "phenomenon."
preface: my Isle Royale experience is zero

that said, wasn't there glaciers completely covering the earth at various times one of which was not that long ago (relative)? And in this world that has had many warm ups and cool downs how is this one any different? If the answer is the standard political polution is causing it I will ask for proof. There have even been times in the past where the earth has been warmer than it is now... what does this prove... nothing... nature does what it wants, it will continue to do so after we are extinct.

http://www.esd.ornl.gov/projects/qen/nerc130k.html
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

My opinion...

What is the point of Wolf study if you reintroduce before the study is complete. Isn't that defeating the purpose of the study. Isn't the purpose of the study to see what happens with the current population?
Did they reintroduce Lynx? No
Did they reintroduce Caribou? No
Did they reintroduce Coyotes? No

Nuff said.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info