Adding or Reintroducing Wolves to IR

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

Should wolves be added or reintroduced to IR?

Add wolves to the existing population.
50%
Reintroduce wolves after the current population is gone.
31%
Wolves should not be re-introduced via the NPS if they die off.
19%

Total votes: 54

drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Re: Adding or Reintroducing Wolves to IR

Post by drobarge »

I agree with the view of letting the study run it's course. It is, in my opinion, the only way to have a complete study. That being said, I support Rolf & John. When given the opportunity to cast a stone it will be in favor of what they feel is best.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

I tend to agree with the idea of artificially supporting and reintroducing some wolves on the island. It seems like the premise of the wolf and moose study is to view the balance of predator and prey in an isolated environment. If a wolf would have crossed over on an ice bridge this year it would have been celebrated with great jubilation.

I think science will have a good idea of what will happen to the flora and fauna on the isle if wolves die off. Why not do a study of saving a species (or at least an isolated community). Data and obsevatons like that could lead to invaluable insights in truly endangered species.

Andy
TofteTom
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by TofteTom »

Just returned from 4 days on the island. The rangers are excited about 3 new wolf pups that have been heard near Siskiwit :)
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

TofteTom wrote:Just returned from 4 days on the island. The rangers are excited about 3 new wolf pups that have been heard near Siskiwit :)
Great news and thanks so much for sharing the info!!!!
How was the trip?
TofteTom
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by TofteTom »

johnhens wrote:
TofteTom wrote:Just returned from 4 days on the island. The rangers are excited about 3 new wolf pups that have been heard near Siskiwit :)
Great news and thanks so much for sharing the info!!!!
How was the trip?
The trip was AWESOME. 4 days at the new camper cabins at Windigo. Hiking, canoeing, kayaking, and a LOT of photography. Saw a handful of moose, too! Weather was fantastic, bugs not too bad, and the rangers and folks I met were informative, fun, and kind. Looking forward to a longer fall trip. I'll try to post a trip report with photos later.
scout
NewbieCake

Post by scout »

Great news about the wolf pups!!! Thanks for sharing
Trmills85
NewbieCake

Post by Trmills85 »

I don't have nearly as much experience as the majority of the people on here do with Isle Royale, but the bug has bit me after my first trip last May.

I think there is another side of the argument that hasn't been discussed. Being in the reforestation business and knowing what Moose, Deer, Elk, and any other antler growing specie can do to the vegetation in an area, I think the NPS must re-introduce wolves back on the island. I have not been able to make it to Windigo to see the Moose exposure, but I know exactly what happens. The Moose population would explode, any chance natural regeneration of forest and vegetation would be pretty much zero. The linked photo was taken by a wildlife camera in a study done by Harvard behind the moose is an ex-closure. You can see what the deer and the moose have done to the unprotected forest vs the protected. http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/si ... Y_0007.JPG

The first thing moose will do is eat all short vegetation, then they will begin to rub trees. As soon as there is a ring around the tree 1 inch wide that get into the cambium layer (just below the bark) that tree has nearly no chance of survival.

I don't know how the wolves should be introduced, but I believe they need to have wolves, or the island will go from Wolf-Moose predatory study to a Moose-Plant predatory study. It will make it easier to bushwack in the backcountry though.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Trmills85,

Many of your points are what it seems to me very similar to what John and Rolfe would argue also regarding the Balsam Fir. It seems that many of the trees are very mature and most of the younger trees are nibbled off as browse.