Isle Royale Wolf Management Forum

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Isle Royale Wolf Management Forum

Post by johnhens »

On June 20 there will be a Public Forum held in Minneapolis about the future of IR wolves. Addressing the crowd will be Rolf Petersen and L. David Mech.
More info here:
http://www.npca.org/get-involved/events ... ement.html
clochard
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Re: Isle Royale Wolf Management Forum

Post by clochard »

I'm sure this will be a very interesting conversation, as it has been on this forum over the last year, but I wonder if some points about John and Rolfs interest in the study will be discussed. Probably not, so I'll bring them up here since I wont be able to make the panel discussion. No one seems to mention the fact that they are inherently biased on the wolf decision on ISRO. It's like asking the banking CEO's if they believe the banks should be bailed out. Of course they want wolves to remain on the island. John and Rolf both benefit financially from the continuation of wolf population as well as retaining essentially their summer homes and cottages where they live for free. Let's also not forget the moose watch program that charges $450 per person to pick up moose bones and the funding they receive from MTU, the NSF, NPS, and profits from their books, films, and media coverage. I support the research, but come on, doesn't their stance on wolf reintroduction and maintaining the population seem a bit skewed to anyone else? I understand they partially blame global warming, but do you ever hear of the collared wolf that LEFT the island several years ago by crossing the ice bridge? No, because it doesn't support their cause. There have been other species on the island that have died out because of humans (Lynx and Caribou). You wont see them flying the flag for these species to be reintroduced. I'm not saying one way or the other about wolf reintroduction, but either way it goes it will set a national precedent for how wilderness area are managed in the future. I hope that the parks decision is one that has been thought out very carefully from a scientific and policy standpoint and not one from biased opinion.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Isle Royale Wolf Management Forum

Post by johnhens »

I had a conversation with Rolf in the Spring about the issue of re-introducing wolves and how and when it should be done.
He mentioned that he had a conversation with a geneticist and was told the wolves may have, in the time on the Island, developed genetic adaptations that should be passed on. He then told me he was, at one point, in favor of letting nature take its course. He also said that discussion and debate of the issue is critical in making sure the best decision is made based on science.
My point is I don't believe that either Rolf or John are getting wealthy doing their research. While I will grant that the continued presence of wolves on the Island directly relates to their livelihood, I would say that their efforts are not based in monetary gain. As IR is not in the limelight as other projects are that take place at places like Yellowstone, their budget is small. The money brought in for volunteers on their trips directly goes to the research efforts.