A call for the wild - save Isle Royale's wolves

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

fredly
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

A call for the wild - save Isle Royale's wolves

Post by fredly »

Well written article with one of the best solutions for saving the wolf population that I have heard yet.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140118/O ... le-hunting
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: A call for the wild - save Isle Royale's wolves

Post by Rafiki »

If wolves vanish, tourists are likely to go the same way.
This guy is a tool and has no idea what he's talking about after having said what is quoted above. Get real man.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

DANG! Don't candy coat it or anything ....tell us how you really feel...no really tell us.... ;) hee hee hee :)
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Just saying...he gives a simplistic option to solve a not so simplistic problem without providing any backing to his opinion other than that it seems like a brilliant idea at first glance. And for good measure, he throws a cherry on top of it all by suggesting that tourists are likely going to disappear with the wolves. Come on man, who are trying to kid here.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Some peoples kids! :) it has been a while since I read it ...but there are more reasons than wolvel to see IR.I think maybe just carried away with his point........totally! I go for the scenic beauty ...an animal is just a bonus .....20 years in the Apostles I saw 2deer and a bear....no wolves there .I still go.:) the deer stayed at camp with us all night ...kinda cool :) we stayed at the same site, 12years later and had the same experience....I dont think it could have been the same deer though....she woulda been ancient.....
Sorry off topic but I think we all go to IR for a deeper experience......if I want to camp with wolves I can do it anytime in my back yard...in fact we are headed out on the ice age next weekend, and there are a lot of wolves around here :) .......aaahhhhwwooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

It was the LACK of certain wildlife that originally intrigued me about IR. The lack of black bears that is. I spent much of my adolescent years in Tennessee in the Appalachians and had some close encounters while camping. Not having to worry about bears was a huge plus factor for me to go the first time. Now it seems one has to "worry" about wolves and bears in many areas of the Midwest north woods.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

NAIL ON THE HEAD! That is an excelent selling point ....No bears! I sleep like a baby because of this on Isle Royal.This is totally unrelated to the Isle but still an interesting tid bit. My info is a few years old so it could have changed by now but.....Stockton Island in the Apostle islands had the largest population of Black bears per acre of any place in the continental US....they believe in bear re education ......I say shoot the darn thing....there re education complete!......wolves are a completely different animal ....they leave you alone :)
MattC
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by MattC »

Seems like this guy opened up a few Wikipedia pages, copy and pasted some numbers and submitted it to the freep editor. This story has been written 100 times now it seems and IR will still have tourists with or without wolves! Plain and simple.