Snakes.....

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

Less Paul
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Snakes.....

Post by Less Paul »

I’m a snake fan. Have been since I was a kid. I saw some pics (from johnhens, I think) that showed a leucistic grater snake from the island. I seem to recall from my Forestry days that all the garter snakes there were supposed to be melanistic (black).

I’m always up for a good critter hunt….any areas seem to have more than others?
Less Paul
NewbieCake

Re: Snakes.....

Post by Less Paul »

No fellow snake fans, hunh?!

:shock:
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Okay, I'll bite.

We were sitting at North Lake Desor, eating our dinner, my son barefoot on the rocks, when he just about jumped through the trees, or into the lake. A garter snake was crawling towards his feet. I grew up around water moccasins, so I understand what aggressive means when describing a snake, and this garter snake was aggressive. It just wouldn't stop coming to us. No, a better way to say it would be that it just didn't care that we were there, that we were just in its way. The rocks were warm from the sun. We got a good laugh out of it, some entertainment.
Less Paul
NewbieCake

Post by Less Paul »

“Okay, I’ll bite.”

Heh!

Every snake I’ve ever encountered has tried to put as much distance between itself and me, as quickly as possible. Probably because most of the time, I’ve been chasing after them. :lol:

Never encountered a water moccasin tho. I’m a northern boy with very little down south herpin’ experience.

Cool story!

Another Heh!
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

My daughter and I saw 2 garter snakes on the trail going from McCargo to E. Chickenbone. Last year, we saw several on the trail from Siskiwit to Feldtmann Lake. One had recently eaten judging by the large bulge it contained. The snakes all were small (under a foot) and were mostly black with some green. They were inches away from being stepped on.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
vitz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by vitz »

This Picture is from McCargoe Cove. This snake wanted to get up on shore and sun on the warm rocks. Not the best picture, and that water was cold.

Picture 028.jpg
Last edited by vitz on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Don_P »

I've seen them all over... the below picture was taken on the trail between Three Mile and Daisy Farm.

The Coggster
NewbieCake

Post by The Coggster »

I just got back and lost count at the number of snakes we saw, somewhere between 20 and 30, all over the island. I only saw the normal variety, no interesting color forms.
rainelde
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by rainelde »

Don_P wrote:I've seen them all over... the below picture was taken on the trail between Three Mile and Daisy Farm.

WHAT KIND OF SNAKE IS THIS????????????
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

rainelde wrote: WHAT KIND OF SNAKE IS THIS????????????
Looks sort of like a black rat snake (Elaphe obsoleta) See:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_rat_snake or http://www.nps.gov/archive/isro/NR_Prof ... ke_jpg.htm
The Coggster
NewbieCake

Post by The Coggster »

actually I'm pretty sure it is just a color form of the common garter snake.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

The Coggster wrote:actually I'm pretty sure it is just a color form of the common garter snake.
Probably true. It is the most common species. I find it hard to distinguish in this photo. From the above or below it might be easier.