Wolves of IR, do they need genetic rescuing?

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Wolves of IR, do they need genetic rescuing?

Post by johnhens »

We have in some ways discuused the wolves of IR and should new wolves be introduced to firm up a genetically depleted population. More info is discussed here:
http://www.isleroyalewolf.org/overview/overview/rescue
So waht do you think?
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Wolves of IR, do they need genetic rescuing?

Post by Backpacker534 »

Boy, that is one of those tricky questions. The nice thing about Isle Royale is that's an isolated wilderness area and interaction with human elements and influences is relatively minor. The whole idea of the wolf-moose study is to see how these two populations, predator and prey, interact and effect each other over time. Over the years both populations have fluctuated up and down depending on the strength and numbers of the opposing population due in part to changing weather patterns and infestations. It has been a very primitive and natural struggle. If we humans had never discovered the island this battle would have gone on the same way it has up to this point and would continue to take place into the future until the wolves die off, or somehow manage to overcome this malady.

From what I understand wolves did not always live on Isle Royale, they came over decades ago when the lake had frozen over and their population took off from there. I believe I also read somewhere that deer used to live on Isle Royale, however, something happened, and their presence is no longer part of the island ecosystem. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the problem the wolves are facing right now is all part of nature. Humans haven't introduced this problem into their population so it would have happened if we were here to observe it or not. Eventually, this is all part of what the study has attempted to learn and document over the years...how do the moose and wolves affect each other over time and how long can this delicate balance continue? If the wolves' DNA eventually becomes too tainted and they die off that is part of the natural process. And, if that does take place, who's to say that more wolves won't cross over the frozen waters of Superior to the island sometime again in the future and begin this process all over again.

With that said, however, I think the wolves and moose are part of the mystique and beauty of Isle Royale, and if they disappear, Isle Royale will somehow not seem the same, even though most of us have never a wolf in the wild. Maybe they should allow the natural process to continue and if the wolves eventually die off they can bring new wolves to the island at that point.

In the end, those lofty decisions will be made by someone other than me, but it's always a good thing to contemplate the pro's and con's and have healthy discussions on these types of issues.
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

Wow, that is a very tough question! While I think yes, it would be a good idea for a healthy population of wolves on the island, I do believe it would pretty much wipe out the moose population. The moose have so much going against them, with the winter ticks and global warming. They are so heat sensitive and so on. The wolves are obviously hurting too. I think in the end you just let nature take its course. I wish there was a simple answer for balance on the island for wolves and moose. It would be a sad day if wolves and moose were no longer on Isle Royale.
"The Island Is Calling"
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

My first thought was they have not "interfeared" up to this point, should they start now?
Originally they thought the wolf population would die off in 20 years without new blood. That was 50 years ago.
This winter, the lake froze over and with that, the possibility that a pack or 2 wolves or even one wolf could cross over and change the course of the wolves on IR again.
There are good points brought up here in the disscussions.
MikeW
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by MikeW »

The selfish side of me is for doing whatever it takes to save the wolf population. After all, the wolf/moose dance is part of what makes the island so fascinating, but that doesn’t make it the right decision. Even if steps are taken, my guess is that whoever is running the wolf/moose study in another 50 years(if there still a study to run) will encounter similar inbreeding issues in the future.

And yes, the lake did freeze over this winter opening up the possibility that wolves could once again make the trek to the island. If I remember correctly from the wolf study this year, there was indication that 2 wolves actually left the island. Maybe the chance of new wolves coming to the island on their own is better than we thought.
JonG
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by JonG »

I wonder if artificial insemination would work withthe resident female wolves. It would still be interferring with the natural processes, but might not be as intrusive[except for the female wolf recipient] as introducing a whole new live bloodline to the wolf population.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

If the NPS decided to step in, wouldn't it be prudent to not utilize the existing wolf population where the genetic defect in the vertebrae would be passed on?
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

I wonder if artificial insemination would work withthe resident female wolves. It would still be interferring with the natural processes, but might not be as intrusive[except for the female wolf recipient] as introducing a whole new live bloodline to the wolf population.
I like this idea. Do we know if the deffect is sex linked? That is, do they need to do insemination, or would implanting fertilized eggs be better?
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

This study has been going on without human interaction for now over fifty years, it is a study, not a project. Now or ever is not the time to taint this study by performing some so-called rescue. It should be allowed to continue as it has since the beginning, that is how the most genuine information can be obtained, resulting in true learning from the study. If the day ever comes when the wolves are gone, so be it, it is nature at work, the caribou are gone, the moose are less than half of what they once numbered. To influence this study by enacting a so-called rescue would undo all the prior data gleaned from this study, rendering any future findings useless and tainted. At that point, I feel, the study would become just another research project aimed at perpetuating itself for the gain of the researchers.
MikeW
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by MikeW »

Capt Don wrote:it is a study, not a project.
Excellent point. But it got me thinking, who is ultimately responsible for making any decisions. I assume the park service?