Loon or Merganser Ducks

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

jeastbur
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Loon or Merganser Ducks

Post by jeastbur »

Just got back from the Island this past Sunday. Working on a trip report now, but one question for the group. We saw a bunch of these birds racing around on the water near Three Mile.
Are these loons or merganser ducks (or something else)?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_0arcocSvI2E/SpyIS ... C_1732.JPG

Josh
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Re: Loon or Merganser Ducks

Post by Kevinl »

I got back Sunday too. I saw them at Threemile as well, very entertaining. They are mergansers.
jeastbur
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by jeastbur »

Thanks, Kevin.
Yeah, they were fun to watch as they raced around near the dock. A lot of the time, they were going fast enough that only their feet were in the water as they skimmed the surface.

Were you scheduled to come back on Sunday or did you get delayed due to the weather? I'm glad we got out on our scheduled day on Sunday since we had flights out of Houghton first thing Monday morning.

Josh
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Hi Josh.

I was scheduled to leave Windigo on the Voyageur on Sunday. My original plan was to spend Saturday night at Washington Creek campground. I made it there a day early and saw the forecast, and checked into leaving on Friday, rather than wait around watching it rain for a couple days. Of course, the boats weren't moving Friday or Saturday, and I had a great time both days. If the sun would have come out a little bit earlier on Saturday, I would have made a side trip to Huginnin Cove, but by that point I had no dry clothes and didn't want to get soaked by overgrown trail. I did some nice day hikes Saturday and Sunday and visited with some nice people too. The Wenonah took us home on Sunday as the Voyageur was busy circling the island. I had no meetings, work, planes, etc. to hurry back for.

Glad you made your flight.