May 2018 First Boat Runcation (West side)

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

May 2018 First Boat Runcation (West side)

Post by Kevinl »

Here's a link to my trip report: http://kevinlangton.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... -boat.html

I hope you enjoy. It was a blast.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: May 2018 First Boat Runcation (West side)

Post by Ingo »

Nice note you left on the trail :). Creative, to say the least.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

lol at the moose poop note. I also feel that was quite creative. :mrgreen:
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I loved your prose and pictures, but I must point out that I did not see a single photo of anyone running or even moving fast, just say'in, LOL.

All levity aside, your pictures of the flora and landscape are great. Too bad the fauna did not cooperate better. What kind of camera do you carry? Since you are basically base camping, I am curious what your meals are like. Because of their lack of mention I gather they are considered as just a necessary sustenance while the run is the thing.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Hey Ed, thanks for the nice words.

Cameras: My good camera is an Olympus OM-D EM10 Mark ii--that's a mouthful. I love the camera and bring it along if I'm screwing around or hiking, but if I'm running I'll bring my Olympus tg-5, which is a small, indestructible little beast that I can take snorkeling or running or whatever and not worry about. I think it's safe to run my Jeep over it. I enjoy switching between the two.

Food: for base camping, we could have done much fancier. We mostly ate dehydrated packaged meals (Mountain House etc) and ramen. I also brought lots of chocolates. Jason had some oranges too. We both love to eat (as evidenced by our victory tour through Grand Portage and Grand Marais) but we sure kept it simple this year. Part of my excuse is that until a couple days before we left, I was in Louisiana dealing with some family stuff, and so I went with the easy options.

I just scrolled through our pics and can't believe there aren't any action shots. The only thing I have close to a running pic is Jason working on some feet issues with his spork, really digging into it, but for your sake I refuse to share that one.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Kevinl wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:50 pmI just scrolled through our pics and can't believe there aren't any action shots.
I just assumed that maybe it was because Jason always got so far ahead of you before you could get the camera out. :oops: :roll:

That rugged point and shoot deserves a hard look, next time I'm looking.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Awesome idea of fun and awesome reporting on it! (And thanks for reminding me that I need to add "gravid moose" to the list of things I worry about.)
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

I just scrolled through our pics and can't believe there aren't any action shots. The only thing I have close to a running pic is Jason working on some feet issues with his spork, really digging into it, but for your sake I refuse to share that one.
I have read that anything you pack in a backpack should serve two purposes. I guess you covered that with the spork. :lol: