June 2010 First Trip

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

bejiggy
NewbieCake

June 2010 First Trip

Post by bejiggy »

Arrived on IR on Voyager II Wed morning. Note-bring ear plugs next year. Day 1-Stayed at Windigo - day hike on Huginin. Day 2 - day hike to Graces' Creek in search of brookies- no luck. Day 3 -hiked to Feldtmann Lake and set up camp on Site 2 which is right on the water. Awesome. Got out the fly rod and caught perch and about a 5 lb pike on a big streamer. What a thrill!! Heard moose that evening bubbling near our tents. Day 4- hiked back to Windigo to catch Voyager II the next day. We were going to stay at Feldtmann one extra night and head out early to catch Voyager II that morning. Good thing we changed our plans, because it rained to beat the band Sunday morning. Great trip will return next year and I want to see the east side of Isle Royale.
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Re: June 2010 First Trip

Post by Vandy »

"it rained to beat the band" -- that sounds bad!! lol
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Love site 2, my favorite tent site on the Island. Cool that you caught a pike on the fly, I have been trying for a few years.
What did you use for a leader? Color streamer and how big?

Thanks for sharing the experience!!
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

I really like site #2 at Feldtmann also. We wanted to get that spot again this year, but someone was already there when we arrived.