A sad realization: no trip this year for me

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

A sad realization: no trip this year for me

Post by fonixmunkee »

Well, when my spring plans fell through to head out to Isle Royale this year, I didn't get discouraged. I planned on making a trip in the fall (I've never been to IR after August), even if I had to go solo. As the months progressed, the likelihood of that trip happening dwindled rapidly.

Today, sadly, I admit defeat: after 6 years of consecutive trips to IR (sometimes twice in a season), I won't be heading out to the island this year. Between a busy few months at work and lots of travel, there's just no room for it. I hang my head, dejected, and very sad. I now live vicariously through the trip reports on this forum.

On the bright side, I will be heading to the U.P. with the girlfriend and the new dog at the end of October :D
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: A sad realization: no trip this year for me

Post by Ingo »

I feel with you Fonix. Up until this week I kept harboring thoughts of an impromptu late season Sept/Oct trip. It's really clear now that it's just dreaming. So I guess we start thinking about next year :).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

You are in good company my friend. For the first time in along time, I most likely will not be making the trip to Grand Portage to take the Voyager to IR. In the back of my mind, I have been trying to figure a way to get out there, but no good....so far.
The summer has not been the same thinking about trips to IR. :(
michigandave
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by michigandave »

I've come to that same conclusion too, unfortunately. I'm downstate near the Detroit area and to make the whole trip worthwhile (and affordable) for me, I really need to spend a full week and weekends (7 days on the island and 2 for travel) to really do it right. It just wasn't in the cards this year. I've been lucky in that I've made trips to Nordhouse Dunes, Highbanks Trail, 2 trips to the NCT-MRT, and will be heading to Hoist Lakes for a couple days next weekend. Planning on Pictured Rocks in October for a couple of days too. One benefit is that I've introduced others to the joys of backpacking with these shorter trips, including my 11 year old daughter, plus a couple other dads and daughters. Picture attached from our June trip to the NCT-MRT (we're the dad-daughter on the left side of the sign). These have all been short 2 or 3 day trips and nothing compares to escaping off the grid for an extended period of time to Isle Royale. Keeping my fingers crossed for 2011 and the adventures it may bring. It's gonna be a long winter, but at least the forums help pass the time till next year.
Attachments
June 2010 Dads and Daughters NCT-MRT
June 2010 Dads and Daughters NCT-MRT
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

Wow I don't feel so bad any more. After five visits in a row, I too will not be coming to IR this summer. I spent a lot of time and money attending the Boy Scout National Jamboree in Virginia. I also got roped into helping my daughter move into her dorm room. Maybe we should all plan a trip to IR at the end of next summer. Late August / early Sept is a great time to visit the island, the bugs are gone, the water is warm, the tourists have left. At least I know you guys won't bring things like bicycles and banjos.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

philranger wrote:At least I know you guys won't bring things like bicycles and banjos.
What? I've never said anything about my banjo? :mrgreen:
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

Well let me join the crowd. At least I am in good company here. I am on a serious losing streak here as far as getting back to IR. Not gonna happen unfortunately this year. Very disappointed and really makes me appreciate when I did go. So I will read the trip reports here and hopefully that will help me get through the winter until I can figure out a way to get back on the island.
upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer

Post by upnorthjeeper »

Everybody, don't fret! I've got good news... I'm working on my TR from last year (almost a year to the date actually) for an English Creative Writing class that I'm taking.

I'll post a rough draft of the first segment on the 18th, my 1 year ISRO anniversary 8)

It is a work in progress, but let me tell you this, it's going to be a TR of epic proportions!

Below is a sunrise photo I took over Lake Superior (my apartment is less than 1/2 mile from this beach) recently, hope you like :D

"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I anxiously await your TR! Great photo, BTW.
You may be the first to admit writing a Trip Report for college credit.. :D

Seeing in how several of you regulars are unable to make it this year, I'm taking one for the team and adding a second trip. It's the least I can do. :P
(It just happened to work out, it's a rare treat!)
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

I felt bad too, so I took my second trip in August. Wife wasn't too happy at first. But since I went with family friends (to introduce them to ISRO) she changed her mind.
CHUCKX53
NewbieCake

Post by CHUCKX53 »

upnorthjeeper wrote: Below is a sunrise photo I took over Lake Superior (my apartment is less than 1/2 mile from this beach) recently, hope you like :D

Hmm.....Might that be the Presque Isle Harbor Light ? I climbed the rip-rap out there to photo that, back in 2004....
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer

Post by upnorthjeeper »

Hmm.....Might that be the Presque Isle Harbor Light ? I climbed the rip-rap out there to photo that, back in 2004....
Yesssssir, it is!

Wish me luck everyone, heading down state MI for my 10 year High School reunion this weekend :)
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz