TR: 8/11-16, 2012 [Paddling][RH to Windigo, Chippewa/Siskiw]

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

Spartan
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

TR: 8/11-16, 2012 [Paddling][RH to Windigo, Chippewa/Siskiw]

Post by Spartan »

This month my wife and I took our second kayaking trip to IR. Two years ago we paddled from Rock Harbor, portaged through to Lake Richie and up through the lakes to McCargo and around the eastern tip back to Rock Harbor, but this time we wanted to cover parts of the island we hadn't been to. So we decided on an end-to-end trip, while still seeing some of the interior.

I sketched out a few different potential routes and eventually settled on a plan to start in Rock Harbor and end in Windigo, working our way through Chippewa Harbor, Lake Whittlesey, Wood Lake and Siskiwit. Based on ferry schedules, the length of the trip and vacation time availability, our best option was to take the Voyager II from Grand Portage, get dropped off in RH, and pick it back up for the return in Windigo. It ended up being the perfect plan to go where we wanted to go. In retrospect, however, the length of the drive (from just north of Milwaukee) all the way to Grand Portage ended up being a major drag. Our previous trip left from Copper Harbor, which despite the longer boat ride, was worth the shorter drive.

Here is the rundown of our trip. I took a ton of pictures, of which is a selection below. The rest (with captions) can be found here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1097327235 ... directlink

We stayed in Grand Marais the night before departing. This still left us with about an hour’s drive in the morning, but since we had left after work that earlier day it wasn’t such a bad idea to shorten the drive. We stayed at the Mangy Moose Motel which was great. We would be arriving pretty late (obviously) but after calling and speaking with the owner Dave, he left the room unlocked and waiting us. Very accommodating.

We got up and hit the road by 5:00 AM on Friday so we could be at Ryden’s for breakfast by the time they opened at 6:00. We arrived around 5:50 and lo and behold, Ryden’s was already open.

We ate and were back on the road by 6:30 to get to the harbor and pack up the boats in time for the ferry departure at 7:30.

Pulling into Washington Harbor:

Ranger Cindy giving us the "respect the wilderness" orientation on the Windigo dock.

After getting our permit, within minutes we were back on the Voyager II on our way to Rock Harbor. This was kind of neat since we got to see the northwest shore of the island, which we probably never would otherwise (not a popular route to paddle). This was, however, a longer ride to Rock Harbor than I anticipated.

Loading up the kayaks in Rock Harbor:

And we are off!

Outer Hill Island:

We stayed at Caribou Island the first night.

Our first night we cooked a few steaks over the campfire. Brought them with us frozen and let them thaw as we paddled our first day.

Sunrise from Caribou Island:

Conditions were pleasantly calm as we left Caribou en route to Chippewa Harbor:

We took a rest stop to check out Epidote lake.

As expected, the conditions turned a bit choppy as we paddled towards Chippewa Harbor. It quickly calmed down though once we got inside the harbor.

Here’s the stream that leads up to Lake Richie. We weren’t going that way, but I wanted to check it out anyway.

Our first portage from the end of Chippewa Harbor to Lake Whittlesey.

Lake Whittlesey

Second night was spent at the Lake Whittlesey campground.

Tried to do some early morning fishing, hoping to catch some of the infamous Lake Whittlesey walleye, but came up empty-handed (a recurring theme throughout the trip).

Sunrise on Lake Whittlesey.

Our next portage was from Whittlesey to Wood Lake.

The “P” stands for “pain” HAHA

And away we go:

The thimbleberries were in full-swing and we ate a nice bowlful every day!

Heading north through Wood Lake

As we paddled into Siskiwit Lake the wind picked up and the conditions got a bit choppy. Here’s Ryan Island– “the largest island in the largest lake on the largest island in the largest lake in the world.”

We landed at Ryan for a lunch break. After reading somewhere about a small pond on Ryan (Moose Flats) with an island rock in the middle (Moose Boulder), I wandered around looking for it, but the terrain was so rough and the vegetation so thick that I gave up. I did however climb to the highest point on Ryan Island. Here’s the view from up there:

We paddle the rest of the way through Siskiwit Lake over to the Malone Bay portage.

Siskiwit Falls

We stayed at Malone Bay that night. Lake Superior was getting rougher throughout the evening and I was really hoping it would calm down overnight, since we our next day involved the longest open-water paddle of the trip, across Siskiwit Bay. Here I am studying the map to assess our route options for the next day.

However, the next morning we awoke to this – halleluiah!

Checking the weather forecast one last time to be sure before setting out

Nothing to worry about – the water was like glass.

So we had a decision to make here. The initial (safer) plan was to limit the open water distance by heading toward the point on the right and then cutting south across Siskiwit Bay, which is wide open to Lake Superior and about five miles across. Or we could just head straight for Point Houghton (on the left), short-cutting about a mile off the total path. Judging from where my wife is heading here, she has already made the decision for us.

This was about half-way – still perfectly calm.

Hurray! A safe landing at Point Houghton.

We paddled into Fisherman’s Home Cove. Not a lot to see there.

Cruising along the south shore:

We had initially planned to camp at Attwood Beach, but it was still early, so we stopped there for a break before pressing on.

We saw no moose the entire trip (unfortunately), but we did see a lot of moose AND wolf tracks on the beach.

As we moved further along the south shore, a storm started moving in, accelerating our search for a good spot to quit for the day.

We landed here:

Near this pond. (No fish in it, at least none that I caught!)

Sunrise along the south shore.

Heading into Rainbow cove we had our first tailwind of the trip. I have a kayak sail (called a “Wind Paddle”) and finally got a chance to use it.

We landed in Rainbow Cove and decided to take the short hike into Feldman Lake so I could do some fishing.

Fishing in Feldman Lake. (Still nothing.)

Heading into Grace Harbor we still had a strong southern wind so I gave my wife a chance to try out the Wind Paddle.

Our final night was spent on Grace Island.

At this point we were about a ½ day ahead of schedule so we paddled over to check out the America shipwreck in the North Gap.

However, the wind was really picking up and the water getting rough so we didn’t dawdle around too much before heading into Washington Harbor on our way to Windigo.

Back where we started!

Lake Superior was ridiculously rough on the way back that afternoon. Half the people on board were sick. Here’s Voyager II first mate Ben enjoying the ride, while the guy next to him tries to drink a coffee.

62.8 miles total. The track from my GPS receiver is below. All in all, a great trip and I think we lucked out with the weather. No major mishaps and no injuries. The bugs were almost no-existent; I don’t think I put on bug spray once. Although, I would have liked to have caught at least ONE fish! Maybe next time...

More pics at Picasa: https://picasaweb.google.com/1097327235 ... directlink
Last edited by Spartan on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
IR17
NewbieCake

Re: TR: 8/11-16, 2012 [Paddling][RH to Windigo, Chippewa/Sis

Post by IR17 »

Very interesting trip report. How do you portage your kayak between lakes? Do you have a yoke or do you put it on top of your pack.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

How were the raspberries at Rainbow cove?
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Enjoyed the report and pics!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Spartan
NewbieCake

Post by Spartan »

IR17 wrote:Very interesting trip report. How do you portage your kayak between lakes? Do you have a yoke or do you put it on top of your pack.
Thanks. Actually for the portaging I designed a portage pack using a basic external-frame backpack, removing the top bar and replacing it with two plastic rowboat oarlocks that slip right into the frame posts. I clamped a sawed-off broomstick handle to the coaming of the kayak, using a pair of right-angled pieces of aluminum and u-shaped brackets. When ready to portage, I put on the backpack, flip the kayak over, the broomstick gets loaded into the oarlocks and away we go. I try to clamp the stick as close to the weighted center of the kayak as possible so it has equal weight on each end. That helps to keep the kayak balanced on the backpack. I also have a rope clipped to the bow and stern, which allows me to keep the kayak level, or to angle it up or down depending on the pitch of the trail. Also I could of course leave stuff in the hatches, but I try to load as much in the backpack as possible--although it all has to be carried, the lighter the boat is, the easier it is to lift up onto the pack frame.

My kayak is 55 lbs empty (wife's is 45 lbs) so when all is said and done with gear it's a lot of weight to carry. But carrying a kayak on a backpack is a hell of a lot easier than trying to use a yoke with my head buried in the cockpit (in my experience).

Here are some better pics of the system (these are from our 2010 trip):

Installing the broomstick. I have pieces of old bicycle innertube on the ends of the stick to help it grip the coaming:

Here I am using the rope to angle the kayak up so I could get a better view of where I was walking (boardwalks can be tricky!):

Lowering the boat after reaching the end of the trail:

I have been trading emails with forum member brford and he mentioned that there are collapsible pack frames that break down and may possibly fit inside the hatches. This might be something I try in the future since it would get the frames off the deck of the boat. (Not that that is such a big deal - we bungeed them down empty - but I like a clean deck when paddling.)
Spartan
NewbieCake

Post by Spartan »

jrwiesz wrote:How were the raspberries at Rainbow cove?
We didn't see as many raspberries as we did thimbleberries (which I actually thought were raspberries until we found out in the visitors' center at the end of the trip that they were thimbleberries). Most of the campsites we stayed at had tons of thimbleberry bushes in the area. They were so plentiful that if you were trapped on the island for a few days I think you could have sustained yourself on the berries. IIRC I didn't quite notice as many around Rainbow Cove but we had our eyes peeled more for moose at that point than berries!
Last edited by Spartan on Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Too bad you did not catch fish. I am surprised at the lack of fish at both Whittlesley and Feldtmann. What were the coordinates for your South shore site if you don't mind?
Spartan
NewbieCake

Post by Spartan »

johnhens wrote:Too bad you did not catch fish. I am surprised at the lack of fish at both Whittlesley and Feldtmann.
I was too. In fact the few other anglers we ran into seemed to be having the same luck (or lack thereof). Only one guy that I talked to (at the Whittlesey campsite) mentioned he had caught a couple earlier in the day, but when he and his sons where fishing later that same evening, they caught nothing. Don't know if it was the weather, time of year, etc.
What were the coordinates for your South shore site if you don't mind?
My GPS file shows N47 50.192 W89 06.351 for that spot.
brford
NewbieCake

Post by brford »

great trip report jealous
Gimp
LNT Expert

Post by Gimp »

Your report and photos were great. For me, the most memorable picture was actually the one with your two kayaks on top of a Mini-Cooper. That must really turn some heads. That little car accomodated two adults, two kayaks and all your gear! I would have enjoyed just sitting and watching you unload.
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Vandy »

Gimp wrote:Your report and photos were great. For me, the most memorable picture was actually the one with your two kayaks on top of a Mini-Cooper. That must really turn some heads. That little car accomodated two adults, two kayaks and all your gear! I would have enjoyed just sitting and watching you unload.
I thought the same thing when I saw that picture as well!
brford
NewbieCake

Post by brford »

If that cooper comes in 4 wd I will take one. Jeep eat your heart out.
Spartan
NewbieCake

Post by Spartan »

Gimp wrote:Your report and photos were great. For me, the most memorable picture was actually the one with your two kayaks on top of a Mini-Cooper. That must really turn some heads. That little car accomodated two adults, two kayaks and all your gear! I would have enjoyed just sitting and watching you unload.
HAHA Yeah, with the rear seats folded down the MINI can actually hold a fair amount of gear, and the rear liftgate/hatchback opens up pretty wide so it is easy to load. That being said, I have gotten good at utilizing the available space! Sometimes I have to think ahead about how to configure everything to get it all in.

With the kayaks it can get a little skittish when the winds pick up. The MINI handles well for a small car but with a pair of 14-ft kayaks up there it becomes much more susceptible to cross-winds. Nonetheless, with the roof rack it has really been a functional car for us.

Spartan
NewbieCake

Post by Spartan »

brford wrote:If that cooper comes in 4 wd I will take one. Jeep eat your heart out.
Actually, it does! The MINI Countryman:

Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

This looks like the perfect trip. Thanks for the pictures.

The seas in your last picture look like about 3-5', that's not ridiculously rough. 12'+ is ridiculously rough. :)