TR: 6/29 - 7/2 2013 [Rock Harbor Lodge]

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

TR: 6/29 - 7/2 2013 [Rock Harbor Lodge]

Post by Ingo »

First time staying at the lodge. Here's some pics, should be accessible to everyone (don't need a FB account): https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 04078c969f

The motivations for the lodge were that my wife came with me and I got out to Passage Island (finally). Weather was great, sunny and 70s every day. Room was literally on the water and listening to the waves lapping on the rocks outside the window each night was wonderful. Hiked Scoville Point and Suzi's cave, paddled to Hidden Lake and Scoville Pt, but didn't have time to hike to Lookout Louise--we were a little lazy packing up and needed to get back for lunch and the boat. Lots of flowers, too early for berries, lots of snowshoe hare around, but didn't see any moose :(.

Passage Island was great. It's about a 1 mile hike from the dock to the lighthouse. Normally there would be an interpretive ranger, but we were on our own because of the sequestration. The deckhand followed the 8 of us there and back, just to make sure everyone made it OK. Views back to Isle Royale and the Canadian shore were fantastic. The island is higher than I expected and the trail has a decent climb to the top (and rocky). You can't go into the lighthouse, but the boat captain said a volunteer org has plans to clean it up (the lead paint in particular) so it can be opened to the public. Would have loved to spend more time there, but everyone else had already headed back while I was still exploring on the rocks. Definitely worth the trip out if you have the chance--a private boat would be great :).

Got up at 1:30 one night and walked over to Tobin Harbor to check for northern lights, but no luck. Apparently there was a solar flare a couple days earlier. Great star gazing though, and a nice night walk (with lots of DEET).

The dining room meals didn't seem as good as I remember, but maybe that's because I wasn't coming off the trail. OK, but nothing you'd spend that kind of money for anywhere else. Burgers and wraps at the grill are pretty good. We brought a bunch of trail snacks which were great for a couple lunches. The lodge says they have free WiFi for guests, and indeed I was able to connect to a router, but apparently the capacity is so poor as to be completely useless. I tried to check email 3 times for 10-20 minutes each, and just gave up--we weren't counting on it in any case.

All in all a great trip, even when I was yearning for the backcountry.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: TR: 6/29 - 7/2 2013 [Rock Harbor Lodge]

Post by MikeT »

John, Glad your trip went well. A lot different than your usual, but it might be nice to be on the island once without working :) . Nice pictures (love the Jack-a-lope :lol: ) Might ask to use a room picture and Passage Island picture for the book. I have only seen Passage from the boat and Blake point.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Mike, just PM me about any pics. There's bunches more :).

The hare was great, almost like he/she wanted to pose for me :).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

The hare almost looks like something out Alice in Wonderland. "If you don't care for tea, you could at least make polite conversation!"
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

Nice report and pics John. I would like to visit Passage Island and even better would be for the park to allow for camping there for like a one night maximum. So what is Hidden Lake like? Were the shelters at Rock Harbor completely full and crowded?
"The Island Is Calling"
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

moss13 wrote:Nice report and pics John. I would like to visit Passage Island and even better would be for the park to allow for camping there for like a one night maximum. So what is Hidden Lake like? Were the shelters at Rock Harbor completely full and crowded?
The campground looked pretty empty when we went through, but it wasn't in the evening. A lot of folks came in and Sunday and Monday.
Hidden Lake is pretty, nothing spectacular. Nice paddle if you have some time to kill.
Hoping they add some camping cabins in R.H. like they did at Windigo. Will make a return trip with my spouse more likely.
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

I'm glad you got a trip in with your lovely wife. Nice to see her face.
Thanks for sharing your report, the pictures were great.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info