TR - 8/23 to 8/27/2013 Rock Harbor Area (First Timer)

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: TR - 8/23 to 8/27/2013 Rock Harbor Area (First Timer)

Post by Lucky Chicken »

killendino wrote:Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I can't wait to go back.

As far as the Rangers going to Lane Cove, I believe they make that trip by boat. The travel blogger I ran into at Ojibway Tower said he was awakened out of sleep by a Ranger looking for his permit. That Ranger, he said, arrived by boat. That was after I had left, so I did not see the Ranger myself.

Side note: I noticed some Rangers actually open-carry handguns. That seems silly to me, even despite the fact that I own guns and have a CPL. Do we expect that Al Qaeda is going to come camp on Isle Royale? Without a permit, maybe? I sort of felt like that changed their image for me, from kindly forest guide, to cop, or something. Maybe a topic for another part of the forum...
Better to have it and not need it than need it an not have it! Rangers carry in many national parks.
BlackCoffee
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by BlackCoffee »

I loved your report! I actually said "No!" out loud when you discovered your pack weighed 65 lbs just before hiking to Lane Cove. Thanks for sharing your experience - I'm glad you enjoyed it and want to go back.
metalspinr
NewbieCake

Post by metalspinr »

i am a first time hiker to the island and will be going there at the end of August for an ambitious 10 day trip. I plan on starting at rock harbor and hike to windigo via the minong. from reading trip reports i may have bit a little more than i can swallow. i am determined to make it though. i think i may need a little luck. weather that is.
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Donk_67 »

Thanks for the report. I haven't see too many TRs from first timers who struggled (possibly becuase they gave up on backpacking after one rough trip). It was good to read your honest perspective. Having a better idea of the challenge, I'm sure your next trip will have you packed lighter and you'll enjoy the isle all the more.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

killendino:
When its going to be warm I wake before sun up at ISRO. I hit the trail just as I start to see it and eat during my breaks. I find that hiking just before and after the noon hour on the ridges to be just too d... hot for me. The morning light has given me some beautiful views anywhere on the island. Two quarts of water during the morning hike is usually enough for me to hike 8-10 miles. Thanks for your report (wish I was there right now)!
MavTech77
NewbieCake

Post by MavTech77 »

Greatly enjoyed your report. Look forward to my first trip and also reading your next report.
Thanks,
Jeremy