July 2015: 5 women, 6 days, one amazing adventure: Rock Harbor, McCargo Cove & more

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

jill.wolfe
NewbieCake

July 2015: 5 women, 6 days, one amazing adventure: Rock Harbor, McCargo Cove & more

Post by jill.wolfe »

I've posted an account of the six days (we spent an extra day on the island when the Ranger III was docked due to gale force winds) backpacking Isle Royale this past July at http://www.adventurebookclub.com/blog/t ... sle-royale. We saw moose, heard wolves & bandaged A LOT of blisters. I'd love to know what you'd think.
SoonerDad
NewbieCake

Re: July 2015: 5 women, 6 days, one amazing adventure: Rock Harbor, McCargo Cove & more

Post by SoonerDad »

Very nice...some good information and a great story!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: July 2015: 5 women, 6 days, one amazing adventure: Rock Harbor, McCargo Cove & more

Post by fonixmunkee »

I've had your trip report bookmark to read for about a week now. Tonight, I was finally able to give it a read. It was an excellent story and very well written and I love the layout that you used to frame the information.

This quote stuck out at me, written about your first night in Lake Richie:
That night, I heard wolves howl. I doubt I'll ever forget that moment if I live to be a 103.
This quote resonates with me deeply because Lake Richie is also where I first heard wolves howl. You summed up my feelings about the experience perfectly.

Also, I'd like to comment on the acupuncture thing for motion sickness: I don't normally believe in that voodoo magic, but my wife bought me these wristbands that apply pressure at that exact same point that video shows. It actually helped me quite a bit when I was in a long car trip through Central America. So there's another vouch for that acupuncture technique working to help with motion sickness. :-)

It seems you and your friends are very interested in returning to Isle Royale. I hope you all do. You definitely had an excellent trip, getting to see a good cross section of the island, but there is still so much more you have left to see. I've taken 12 trips to the island, and still have yet to see it all. It seems to me that it only gets more beautiful every time I visit, as well. I believe that the combination of being able to further appreciate the beauty of Isle Royale, combined with perfecting your gear, and tuning your body to better hike the island all aide in that.

Thank you very much for sharing your trip report. I hope you continue to visit Isle Royale, and continue to visit the forums.