July 31-August 6, 2009 trip #2....TRIP REPORT****

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: July 31-August 6, 2009 trip #2....TRIP REPORT****

Post by Ingo »

Hey Colvinch, when we were paddling on Duncan Bay and Tobin Harbor on the 1st, I thought about what Siskiwit must be like! Definitely not an ideal paddling day...
4 hrs from Belle Isle to R.H. is pretty good. Must have had cheeseburgers on the brain :). I gotta assume you portaged in 1 trip?
I still can't get back into work :( All I think about is the next trip :D
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

DonNewcomb wrote:
moss13 wrote:So I am trying to figure out how that guy lost his boots! That is crazy. I know the foxes on the island can be bold who knows.
The story implied that he was traveling by boat. It's possible that they went overboard somehow.

I'm thinking the same thing, they went overboard. When we last saw them they were travelling out of Rock Harbor and heading North east, so I'm thinking Blake Point and with the weather (wind) we had it would of been terrible up there that day. The group was a little odd, didn't have a lot to say and they travelled in 2 canoes but one was a solo...we were worried about them when we saw them head that way.
colvinch
LNT Expert

Post by colvinch »

Ingo wrote:Hey Colvinch, when we were paddling on Duncan Bay and Tobin Harbor on the 1st, I thought about what Siskiwit must be like! Definitely not an ideal paddling day...
4 hrs from Belle Isle to R.H. is pretty good. Must have had cheeseburgers on the brain :). I gotta assume you portaged in 1 trip?
I still can't get back into work :( All I think about is the next trip :D

Nope we made that portage in 2 trips....my wife is a machine. Took the packs up first, got a drink and right back down for the canoe. We took a breather right before the top and had the momentum to go all the way to the Tobin side, turned right around and went for the packs. Up and over like we did once a week all summer. I hear ya about work, all I have done is......plan next years trip. :D
colvinch
LNT Expert

Post by colvinch »

upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by upnorthjeeper »

Thanks for sharing the photos, I especially like the ones that it looks like you took while carrying the canoe and the two canoes on the beach... :)
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Nice pics! I now see how you did B.I. -> R.H. in 4 hrs. You're SO much younger than me :D.
Can't beat a Belle Isle sunrise, can you?
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Nice pics, love the walleye!!!
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

Very cool pixs. Love you too John.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

philranger wrote:Very cool pixs. Love you too John.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Buckwheat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Re: August 3-9 2009 trip #2

Post by Buckwheat »

colvinch wrote:
Buckwheat wrote:
colvinch wrote:dates have changed once again now we are going July 31-August 6, wouldn't be a trip unless we changed the dates multiple times
Chris,

We are doing about half of your trip in the opposite direction. We are taking the water taxi to McCargoe Cove on Aug 2 and then through the lakes to Chippewa Harbor. If you see two couples in cedar strip canoes heading in the opposite direction of yourself, say hello.

Do you really get tickets for the Queen in the mail? I made reservations in January and have receipts, but no tickets.

Bill

Bill I did see you...dang it, I thought you were a solo canoe...couldn't remember. I was one of the couples (metal canoe) at the Chickenbone portage that commented on your beautiful canoe.
Chris - great trip report. I do remember you now after seeing your report. I talked to another guy who was cleaning fish at Chickenbone and he said they had spent the night on the portage at Intermediate because of the waves on Siskewit put them behind schedule. I am envious of your walleye as I only caught pike there. It was my first trip there but hopefully not the last.

Bill
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Holy crap, that's a great, detailed trip report.

That picture of the canoe during the sunset is great!
ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by ScoutDad »

Great report & photos...thanks!
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -