Leaving For IR This Saturday!

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

trailgoat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Leaving For IR This Saturday!

Post by trailgoat »

Not a trip report, but a report on a trip! :)

I can't believe my departure date is almost here. I leave Copper Harbor Saturday morning (7/11) and return on the following Saturday (7/18). It seems like just yesterday I was planning my trip while 10 inches of snow was falling outside the window. Six months truly flew by!

As always, I become very focused about two-weeks out--friends and family all mention the change in my demeanor. Much more serious. Quiet. Reflective. I tell them it's because this is a big trip with plenty to plan and organize. I've just spent the past two days organizing gear--of course, I've been purchasing food and other items necessary for 8 days on the island over the past month or so. As I type, my gear is spread out in little piles in my dining room. My wife silently walks past the 'mess', knowing it will be gone in a few days.

I'm also getting very anxious and a tad nervous. I always do before big solo trips. Actually, I'm glad I am because it forces me to be extra careful in packing. As you all know, IR is not the place to be forgetting something 'important'. I'm pretty confident I'm taking everything I need and nothing I don't. This will be my lightest load yet on the island (36 pounds) and I'm thrilled to experience it without a 45 pound pack!

I'll post a trip report with pics when I return. I'll be staying at Daisy Farm, Malone Bay, S. Lake Desor, Todd Harbor, McCargoe Cove, Moskey Basin and Three Mile during my trip. I've been to every campground except S. Lake Desor, so this is a familiar trip for me. I'm taking the Voyager II from Daisy to Malone, it's a wonderful boat ride that really provides nice views I'd normally not see. I"m excited to see Todd Harbor again. I truly enjoyed that place during my last visit.

Thanks for letting me release some of these thoughts--they've been bottled-up for a few days now. As I always say...."If it's a safe trip, it's a good trip".
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Henry David Thoreau
zentater
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Leaving For IR This Saturday!

Post by zentater »

Have a great time....my trip (also solo) starting August 28th can't come soon enough!!!

:)
moss13
Trailblazer

Post by moss13 »

Have a great trip TG. Now get back to packing and focus....focus......focus!! :D

We forgot.....ahem.....my buddy forgot the camp stove on our last trip. I was not thrilled about that but got over it quickly since Chippewa Harbor had a fire ring at our tent site. We survived.
"The Island Is Calling"
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Good luck out there TrailGoat! May the paths be soft and the weather perfect.

That moment of truth always comes for me when I take all those piles laying around and put them all in the pack for the final time. A sigh of relief when it fits; anxiety since I know the trip is imminent.
upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by upnorthjeeper »

Have a great trip! Learning from you guys is what's really fueled my passion to get out there for my first trip in about 10 weeks. Thanks.
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

< 3 weeks for me (7/27)! Gear's spread out it the spare bedroom. Been making lists and checking them twice. In pretty good shape.
Have a great trip trailgoat!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
trailgoat
NewbieCake

Post by trailgoat »

Thanks for the kind wishes everyone. Just loaded the pack into the car---everything fit with room to spare!!! I hope that doesn't mean I forgot something! :| After a while, I just start over-thinking it. Heading to the family cottage tomorrow. Making the drive to Copper Harbor on Friday.

To everyone who is heading to the island soon---enjoy your trip! I'll post something as soon as I can.
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Henry David Thoreau
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Godspeed, trailgoat! Have fun, be safe, and above all, love every second of it out there...the real world awaits you when you return... ;)
JCoburn
NewbieCake

Post by JCoburn »

I hope the trip is amazing...at its worst it cannot be too bad. Just being on the island is magical for me! I have a month wait from today and all packs are ready to go, food purchased, and everything is in place. Shoes are broken in, now just taking a few long walks withthe packs to get back into tip top shape! I get a bit more serious as well when things near. We are so excited for this trip. Hope it was great for you, please post a report when you return! Thanks