Post by TheHoneymooners »

Hey there,

Name: Jessica and Matt
Email: holdrenj(at)msu.edu
Hometown: Milford, MI
Arrival Date: August 17, 2009
Departure Date: August 25, 2009
Coming From/Via: Copper Harbour via Queen IV
Itinerary: Minong Ridge - Starting at Lookout Louise to Lane cove to East Chickenbone or McCargo Cove (see question), to Todd Harbor, to Little Todd, to Lake Desor, to Windigo.
Notes/Other: Thinking about making T shirts that say Windigo or bust on them. Not sure if I can do it in time still.
Anyways, this is our first trip up to the Island. We have done a few trips locally, and 2 up to the shingle mill pathway. I am a little nervous but my husband assures me that we will be fine.
Can anyone tell me if they think the trip from Lane Cove to McCargo Cove will be way too far. I realize its going to be a long day but, i also don't want to die. :)

Thanks everyone, great site! Wish I had found it sooner!
Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Re: Honeymoon to Isle Royale

Post by Mandolynn »

How are you getting to Lookout Louise for your starting point?
TheHoneymooners
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

We booked a water taxi from the lodge that will take us there.
Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Mandolynn »

I am a day hiker myself, so I have never hiked to Lane Cove. I really love the Greenstone from Lookout Louise to Mt. Franklin, though, and I think that part of the hike should be very pleasant for you. Everybody always says there is a good chance of seeing a moose at Hidden Lake, where the water taxi lets you off, but I've never seen one there. Once I saw one swimming across the little channel between an island in Tobin Harbor and the shoreline next to Hidden Lake, but I don't know where she went after she came ashore. She didn't wade into Hidden Lake for a nice photo op for me as I was hoping she would!
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

Congrats on the wedding! What a great place to kick off many years together!

The number one thing I would say about your planned hike is to SKIP EAST CHICKENBONE! I think many posters would agree with me that East Chickenbone is one of the worst campsites on the Island. (If you have to stay there, you are on the Island, so it's not that bad.) It's not that much further to get to McCargo Cove, and I think you will find it is well worth the hike.
TheHoneymooners
NewbieCake

Thank you, and also thanks for the advice.
JonG
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by JonG »

Congratulations! I can't think of a better place for a honeymoon than Isle Royale. You asked if the hike from Lane Cove to McCargo is "too far". Let me say that it's a very doable hike, countless have done it before, but it can be a long day if you're not accustomed to IR terrain. You mentioned doing the Shingle Mill Pathway. Though pretty, that pathway is very easy compared to IR. If I were to rate the Shingle Mill on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate it about 1 or 2. The hike up to the Greenstone from Lane Cove and many parts of the Minong I would rate around 4 or 5. I'm just trying to give you a fair comparison so you'll be prepared and fit for your honeymoon. I hope you two enjoy your stay. Far more important than doing and end to end is just soaking up the experience of being there and enjoying each other. Good luck and have fun!
TheHoneymooners
NewbieCake

Thanks Jon. We are aware that we are in for a challenge. I think that is part of the attraction of it.
We have been all over every weekend for the last 3 months hiking anywhere from 6 - 12 miles a day. I feel like we will be tired, but we are both still kinda young (I am 26 and he is 31).
Thank you for the advice on McCargo Cove.

Got my map and the rest of my gear today from Campmor. We are leaving next friday for mackinaw for a couple days of R&R and then off to Isle Royale. We are both really excited. :)

Thanks again!

Jess
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

IMHO, I'd cut back on the distances and spend more time relaxing and enjoying the Island. I'm going to assume here that your new wife is not a serious, let's go do Everest, adventurer-type person. If she is, skip the rest of this. Here's why:

I took my wife honeymooning to IR in '81. We'd done a lot of weekend backpacking trips, so she was experienced and I'd been to IR once before. Now I admit that going in early May was not the best idea in the world. We did the typical young couple thing: RH-Daisy Farm-McCargo-Todd Harbor-North Desor-Windigo-Hugginin Cove-Windigo-Siskiwit-Windigo. Way too much. Up early, hike all day, camp, up early..... Add to the mix: the temps varied widely, she lost a contact the first day in the rain, and she got stung by something and we had to have a ranger pick us up by boat. That was the last time she has gone backpacking.

Now, you've avoided the cold. But, you are doing a lot of miles. If I had to do it all over again, I'd back off on the mileage and try to spend a couple of nights at each spot (spending time in the tent, too, if you get my drift). Then, you'll have some fond memories and she will be willing to go back to IR year after year. PS I'm working on getting her back there. Time will tell.
TheHoneymooners
NewbieCake

Nick,
I am the one who orriginally suggested the Minong Ridge hike to my husband. Later, (like a month ago) when I realized that the mileage may be a little much, he was un movable about it. I think we will be okay, but tired. There is no danger of me "never going back". Though it may be a while because we are planning on starting a family before too long, and next year I want to do the shore to shore in the lower pen. with my horses.
Anyways, off topic.
Thanks for the advice. I think unless Jim Dufresne calls us and tells us not to do so many miles, he isn't going to change his mind.
I am okay with that. We are both stuborn. Next year when his butt hurts from a saddle for 8 hours, I will remind him of the beaver dam. Right?

haha.

Thanks!

jess