Family Vacation

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

BuckeyeLands
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Family Vacation

Post by BuckeyeLands »

This was my 3rd visit to the island in the last 30 years but for everyone else in my family their 1st. My family consists of myself, my wife and our 3 childern, ages 7 (turned 7 on the island), 10 and 12. Our trip was from Rock Harbor to Windigo via the voyager II and walk back to Rock Harbor. We started on Aug. 8 by taking the Queen IV to RH, we walked out to Scolville point Saturday afternoon. The 9th we took the Voyager II to Windigo (long trip) and walked to Island Mine, this made for a really long day. From there we stopped at South Lake Desor, where we had a cow and calf moose walk through the camp. Next was Hatchet Lake, we saw a cow and calf moose swimming in the lake while there. We decided to walk to E. Chickenbone the next day. From there we went to Daisy Farm. The last morning we walked back to RH and took the Queen IV back to CH.

We had a great time and the kids (as well as us) were sad to leave. We walked a good bit before the tirp to get the kids ready for this but still probably should have done more. The 7 year old had a couple of tough times the first couple of days, mainly, I think, because she couldn't see much and there was nothing to do but walk. When we made camp she had plenty of energy and had a great time. We'll go back...
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Family Vacation

Post by johnhens »

I wish my dad had taken me to IR when I was 7!!!
Good for you, sounds like a great trip. How much weight were the kids carrying?
I have a niece I am thinking about taking there.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Looks like an awesome time with the kids. Even the tough spots will be remembered.

The nice thing is that the older they get the more weight they can carry.

Thanks for sharing.
BuckeyeLands
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by BuckeyeLands »

The 7 year old carried about 8 pounds - water, rain gear, clothes and snaks.
The 10 and 12 year olds carried about 18-22 pounds - everything they needed including some of the 7 year old stuff.
My wife and I carried everything else. The good news is that both our packs got lighter every day...
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Two years ago on the Ranger a family of five from southern Michigan headed out to IR with 100plus of us. I saw them on the trail once and I could see a change in the kids from the time we got off the boat. When we were going back on the Ranger I saw a whole new family. I expect they'll return in the future. Wish my family had gone together.