Life of a Ranger on IR

Questions regarding the history of the island and historical places on the island.

Moderator: drobarge

Topic author
redduke6
NewbieCake

Life of a Ranger on IR

Post by redduke6 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:08 pm

Folks,
Can anyone talk about what it is like to be a Ranger on the Island? What are their accommodations like? How do families get groceries? Do they get days off? etc. Always interested in learning how folks live, survive and thrive in these relatively remote locales. Always love reading about the lives of the old lighthouse keepers. Thanks.

Craig

jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Life of a Ranger on IR

Post by jrwiesz » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:21 am

Try, "Paths Crossed - Protecting National Parks" by Ranger Cliff Edwards, for a good look from the law enforcement ranger perspective.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 33

Post by johnhens » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:39 am

Some of the living arrangements are communal, the Interpretive and maintanence folks, ie. The supervisory rangers (Interpretive and LEO) have their own residence. Some who have family, bring their families out for the summer. The NPS has an arrangement with grocery stores in Houghton. The rangers place food orders that are brought out to IR on the Ranger, every 2 weeks. The cabins have propane and electric. The Ben East cabin (first cabin on the right as you walk towards the RH cg) has satelite TV. Some of the rangers bring either a canoe or kayak and some have motor boats and or sailboats for their down time. They oftern arange their schedules to have 4 days off to enjoy IR.

JerryB
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by JerryB » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:17 pm

A ranger was told me a funny story about another ranger. It was early August and I was commenting on how I had gorged myself on raspberries on the island. They were ripe and all over the place. This other ranger placed his order for groceries. Under "Fruit", he noted, "best available". A few days later, his food arrived and it included a very expensive half pint of raspberries!