Shifting Magnetic North Pole

Questions regarding the history of the island and historical places on the island.

Moderator: drobarge

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Shifting Magnetic North Pole

Post by johnhens »

Saw this, thought it was interesting given the magnetic compass issues some have experienced on IR.
https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/tracking ... etic-poles
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: Shifting Magnetic North Pole

Post by chief54 »

I just finished the new book, Spinning Magnet by Alanna Mitchell that is all about the history of figuring out about the magnetic force created by the formation of the universe and earth, electromagnetic force and how the magnetic poles have switched many many times in the earths past and what that portends for the future of humanity. A great entertaining read by anyone remotely interested in this subject.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
Grandpa
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Grandpa »

chief54 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:10 am A great entertaining read by anyone remotely interested in this subject.
I agree! It sounded interesting so I picked it up. Thanks for your recommendation.
First visit 1982. Last visit August, 2022. Isle Royale is my favorite National Park!
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

I just finished the book. Thanks for the recommendation.

Great read. History, physics, biology, and a journey to the Center of the Earth!

It's relative about, Isle Royale Rocks; it's why we're all attracted to the Isle. :P
That electromagnetic attraction laid down in the basalt, millions of years ago.
It's in our DNA! :shock:

For all the "preppers", maybe time to ready the lead lined container? 8)

For now, I'm looking at a comfortable cave for habitation. :idea:
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

My pleasure glad you enjoyed the read, plus enjoyed your response. Years ago I read a novel about the earth flipping called the HAB Theory, its on amazon, entertaining but also love story which kinda takes away from main story esp.when you are a 20 ish young man. As an aside back in 80's on a trip to IR was in LAX flying out to Duluth for a 10 day trip and realized I had no reading material, I was a merchant sailor in between ships and it was a quickly planed trip, so I picked up a paperback called Lonesome Dove. I could not put it down. Still my second favorite fiction book right behind Moby Dick and right of in front of the Mutiny on the Bounty trilogy by Nordhoff and Hall. this coming trip in June still deciding between Empire of the North, history about Hudsons Bay Co, or A World Undone a history of WW1.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times