Can Anyone Tell Me How Long Ago RH Showers Cost $1?

Questions regarding the history of the island and historical places on the island.

Moderator: drobarge

Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Can Anyone Tell Me How Long Ago RH Showers Cost $1?

Post by Mandolynn »

I'm trying to date some historical correspondence I came across about Isle Royale and one of the clues in the letter was that the writer mentions showers at RH cost $1. Most everyone I've talked to can't remember them being any less than $2.50, so I'm thinking the letter is at least 25 years old, though I was kind of hoping to find it was even older than that. If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate hearing it.
Thanks!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Can Anyone Tell Me How Long Ago RH Showers Cost $1?

Post by johnhens »

You might give the concessionaire a call, 906-337-4993.
If you can talk to Kim, he is and has been the Mgr for a long time. He may know.
Also, Ingo who posts here worked there I think in the 70's/80's, he may know.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I worked at the store in '79, and rented showers before they were coin operate, but i don't remember. I want to say either $1 or $2, but I'm confident it wasn't less, so it was at least that long ago. BTW, what I DO remember is having to clean them :( . Kim, the manager, has been working there longer than that--his memory may be better.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Mandolynn »

Thanks for the info... I know Kim's daughters a little bit but I don't really know him. But I'll give him a try.
The letter I found contains an inventory of the contents of the Stack-Wolbrink cabin. It would be interesting to be able to date it. It was from someone named Helen, but I don't know who she was or who it was written to. Ingo, you wouldn't have any idea who Helen might be? At the time the letter was written, Helen was suffering from arthritis so I assume she was older. She was also talking about raking oak leaves so she was not living in Hawaii where the Wolbrinks ended up.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Mandolynn, no I don't have any idea who Helen was. Good luck with your search though. Let us know if/when you do figure out the mystery!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Check with Liz Valencia at the Park if you haven't already - she's head of Cultural Resources and Interpretation.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather