Trails with easy water access - Eddison Fishery.

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Wiconi
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Trails with easy water access - Eddison Fishery.

Post by Wiconi »

Hi,

My little one (8yo) and I are taking a 9-day backpacking trip to ISRO the week before labor day. We hoped to avoid some of the crowds and most of the bugs.

We're reasonably experienced backpackers, and have spent many hours on the trails. She caries a 18 lb pack and I cary a 40 lb one.

We can hike about 7 miles a day before it stops being fun for her (and when she starts whining, it's not fun for me either!). If I front-load the experience and psych her up for it, we can cover 10 miles in a day, I just have to time the breaks right, and keep her excited about whatever I can to keep her going. We're taking the Queen, so we'll be on the east end of the island.

She LOVES water. Just splashing in the shallows and occasionally swimming. When we're on the Rock Harbor Trail, between Rock Harbor and Moskey Basin, Can anyone tell me Is there any easy access points to water that she can "play in". Water she can either just wade around looking for whatever it is that kids look for in the water, or actually go swimming in. (she's on Swim Team - so she swims well)

We're looking for either rocky or sandy places that have easy access and where we won't really disturb the flora and fauna too much getting to and from the water.

And, anyone have any idea of the general water temperature in Moskey Basin? Is it freezing like the lake, or warmer?

Our itinerary is roughly:
night1 - 3mile
2-lane cove
3-daisy farm
4-moskey basin
5- moskey or daisy
6-3-mile
7-rock harbor
8-3 mile

(days 6-8 we're going to Passage Island and to Eddison Fishery.

And as a side note - alternate question.....

We were toying with the idea of spending a "backcountry night" (where she can practice her LNT skills) somewhere out by Summer Lake. We were thinking of hiking to the Lighthouse and to the Fishery. Is this possible? Hard? I have the Nat Geo map, and navigation skills to do it safely. Has anyone ever been out that way? Anything anyone can tell me about it??

Thank you

Wiconi
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Trails with easy water access - Eddison Fishery.

Post by hooky »

I can't speak to all of the sites and trails, but there isn't really any beach access on the RH trail to 3 mile. That's also a tough trail with a full pack for some. The Tobin Harbor trail to Mt Franklin to 3M will add .3 of a mile. It will put you on the trail that you'll take to Lane, so you'll have a little backtracking the next morning. Beyond 3 mile, the RH trail has several nice places with a small sandy beach. You may miss most of it depending on your route though, assuming you'll walk the greenstone to the Ojib trail to make Daisy.

Sounds like a fun time and a great experience for your girl.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

All those sites have good places to get in the water. I'd suggest some water shoes--Crocs are great for walking out then kicking off to swim cause they float. At Three Mile shelter 10 has a small dock in front of it that you can jump off--but the water is deep and you have to crawl up the rocks. But you may also get a little company because of it too. Didn't bother us though.

Off-trail hiking is pretty tough on the island, although I haven't done any seriously myself. I'd look into an area where you don't have to get too far off the trail--maybe between Moskey and Lake Richie--instead of a cross-country trek. Hopefully others will chime in. And check with the Park Service about what's allowable where.

Sounds like a great trip! Have fun.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Wiconi
NewbieCake

Post by Wiconi »

We are Homeschoolers, and each year starts and ends with a "field trip" to some remote place. She completes whatever programs she can and gets whatever certificates and patches she can. This year is ISRO. She's been wanting this for 2 years, and it's finally happening. Previous years have included Yellowstone, Badlands, Tetons, Itasca, Yellow River (IA), Custer (Black hills, SD) and so on. She hates camping in "campgrounds" where sites are stacked one upon the other.

Somehow, I was blessed with a child who LOVES the remotest places of the earth - and is more than willing to give up the luxuries of civilization to get there. Backpacking to begin with was all HER idea. I started her camping as a little kid (about 18 mos) and by 3 she was complaining about all the people. She knows more about plants and foraging than 90% of adults.....all self taught - or books. I have the time of my life following her around answering (or finding the answers to her) questions.

She literally cannot wait until we get there in a week.

I'm just gathering all the info I can to make her field trip as pleasurable and educational as I can.

I appreciate the help!

ANyone who has been off-trail between Moskey and the Fishery??
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

Expect the water temperature to be cold. All of the beaches will have rocks or gravel or both, so foot protection is important for everyone -- whoever is filtering water will also need to wade out into the water. Campgrounds will have good access to the water.

As far as zone camping, there is information elsewhere in this site about the different zones and the dates when they are open/closed so you can do some planning. As has been said the Rangers are very OCD when it comes to zone camping so be prepared for that.

The ISRO is entirely LNT and you will receive the LNT lecture either on the ride over on the Ranger III or on the dock when you arrive. Be prepared to pick up any trash you might see (litter is very rare on the island) ISRO will meet you and your daughter's requirements for remoteness and isolation. Your itinerary will hit or pass spots that will be of interest to a 8 year old (Mt. Franklin, Suzy's Cave, the Fishery, Passage Island, the lighthouse, some abandoned mine shafts, etc.). You also should have a chance to see some wildlife (moose, beavers, possibly otters, and certainly numerous squirrels and snowshoe hares).
Wiconi
NewbieCake

Post by Wiconi »

Thanks SO much for the info.

I'm pretty sure we have an itinerary planned. Not sure we'll spend any time camping in non-designated campsites, but that'll be ok too. Most of my days are low-mile, like 4-5 - leaving LOT sof time to see things like caves and mine shafts and so on.

I appreciate everyone's help and input.