Rock Harbor to Scoville Point trail

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

tinman
NewbieCake

Rock Harbor to Scoville Point trail

Post by tinman »

Anyone walk the trail from Rock Harbor to Scoville? I need a rundown on terrain and distance. Checking google earth ....are those cottages along the trail or private residence s? (North side of island)
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Rock Harbor to Scoville Point trail

Post by Ingo »

It's a great hike! It's all flat. The trail on the Superior side has dramatic views of the shoreline, lake and outer islands, but is rockier and a little rough. But nothing to speak of really, just have to watch your footing and maybe look for the trail across some open rock. The Tobin Harbor side is also beautiful, in a less dramatic way, and the trail is easy by any measure. When I worked at R.H. I often hiked out there in the evening. About 4 miles round trip. But give yourself some time to hang out on the point!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

I agree with Ingo - it's a great hike and not challenging - something for the last day of your trip, maybe.

There are some private residences here and there on the island, one near Scoville Point.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

As said above, it is an easy walk with nice views on both sides and well worth the time. There is no more than 40' of elevation change throughout the entire trail. The largest change in elevation is about 25' at a 16% grade at one time. The Tobin Harbor side of the loop (North side) has a bit more change in elevation than the south, but is wooded unlike the south side which almost entirely rock. I rated it a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

One of the cottages out there is the residence for the Isle Royale Artist in Residence. The others are either empty or life-lease holders.