Bushwacking From Lookout Louise to Blake Point

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

tinman
NewbieCake

Bushwacking From Lookout Louise to Blake Point

Post by tinman »

Anyone bushwack from Lookout Louise to Blake Point? What's the lowdown on terrain and difficulty? Easier to canoe there Maybe?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Bushwacking From Lookout Louise to Blake Point

Post by Ingo »

I recall a couple accounts of people attempting it, but not of anyone being successful. Really rough stuff I understand and not feasible. Paddling all depends on the lake--it's certainly feasible and done, but I wouldn't advise it unless you have a lot of experience and a lot of good judgement. It's still on my list of things to do because I've opted out on a couple of trips due to marginal conditions.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Based on the terrain east of Lookout Louise I do not believe it would be possible. To the north it is sheer rock and the south is extremely steep.

I made a slight attempt at it from Duncan Narrows campground. My first goal was the Pallisades. I reached the western part of the Pallisades, but it was very very thick underbrush and some treacherous terrain. It was exhausting. I just had a daypack on. This was in the fall, it would be easier in the spring.

I have walked to Blake Point from Merrit Lane campground and it is not too bad. There are several "gorges" that you have to go a bit inland to get around. This was in the fall and they may not be passible in the spring. I too have thought about going around the point at some point if the conditions are perfect. However, after seeing the terrain there up close, it would have to be absolutely perfect unless I was in a sea kayak. The is NO place to land there. If going around, there is really no place to stop by the light either. Might be able to pull into one of the "gorges" maybe. If and when I do it, I would come from the Merrit Lane side as you can always turn around and go back to Merrit if conditions are bad on the north side of the point. Coming from the narrows, it is along way back if conditions are bad from the south and the Pallisades are unlandable.
notice the cliff.
notice the cliff.
Blake Point Light
Blake Point Light
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
treeplanter
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

I've never bushwhacked, but have kayaked around Blake Point several times. My observations from a kayak is that the tip of the island is incredibly rugged. Vertical drop-offs, lot of rock and a thick forest of spruce and balsam. If in a kayak and the conditions were right (calm) you could land close to the point and hike in, but it's not often you find calm seas in this part of the Park.

Mike T's comments about hiking from Merrit Lane to Blake Point is interesting. Maybe something I'll try someday.
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

The straight line distance from Lookout Louise to Blake Point appears to be about 3 1/4 miles plus. If I were planning to do that I'd follow the center of the ridgeline all the way out, expecting very broken, rocky terrain and fallen trees. If you look at the area through the sattelite view on Google Maps you can see there are open areas (probably a lot of exposed rock) with light vegetation interspersed with forested areas. The forested areas seem to get more dense as you're getting closer to the point. Your off trail ground speed will be very, very slow so it would be an all day trip there and back. There was a time when I would have considered that to be a challenging but fun orienteering route.

Consider what Mike T said about the hike just from Merritt Land and multiply that if you start from Lookout Louise. If I were going to do that I'd try for late spring before all the leaves are out so I could see my footing better. (I have a plate and several screws in one ankle so I'm extra cautious when it comes to avoiding ankle twisting.) Also, I doubt you will have any way to resupply your water enroute because there won't be any on the high ground, and it will be difficult to get down to the lake water to resupply without a great effort.

If you're just trying to get there I'd suggest a canoe to Merritt Lane and take the shorter but still challenging cross country route.
tinman
NewbieCake

Post by tinman »

Thanks for the replies fellas. Much to consider in the next couple months. Weather depending I may make the attempt; and yes i'll take pictures of the terrain and pass it along as to eliminate doubt. Maybe they'll name a trail after me........or just mark my grave!
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by bergman »

If u plan to start at the lookout itself, then be sure to do a "Last Will & Testament", though we on the forum are not available to sign and attest that you are "of sound mind and body".

I followed the moose trail east from the lookout, but within 50 yards or less, I was in such a thicket of somewhat mature trees, that it reminded me of a jail cell.

Extrapolating the greenstone trail out to Blake is what you would have to do. Begin at the intersection of the greenstone and the lookout trails, which is 825'. You could start a tiny bit E of the intersection, just as the trail back to Hidden Lake turns southward. On your bushwack out to the Point, always keep the high point of the ridge on your L.

Gimp made the most astute observation, and that is how are you going to manage to hydrate all the way there? You cannot cover the 3.3 miles in a straight line, so that is a formidable challenge. You would have to consciously hydrate really well a few days prior. It would also be important to have a GPS to mark your departure point from the trail at the very beginning. I suppose without the GPS, u may find the trail that comes up from Hidden Lake; however, u could just as easily find yourself in that jail cell, and I hear that the moose on the E end are ruthless bondsmen.

If you do attempt it and fail to return, one of us will be sure to bring along an oil can when we come looking for you.
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Ernest T Bass »

bergman wrote:If u plan to start at the lookout itself, then be sure to do a "Last Will & Testament", though we on the forum are not available to sign and attest that you are "of sound mind and body".

I followed the moose trail east from the lookout, but within 50 yards or less, I was in such a thicket of somewhat mature trees, that it reminded me of a jail cell.

Extrapolating the greenstone trail out to Blake is what you would have to do. Begin at the intersection of the greenstone and the lookout trails, which is 825'. You could start a tiny bit E of the intersection, just as the trail back to Hidden Lake turns southward. On your bushwack out to the Point, always keep the high point of the ridge on your L.

Gimp made the most astute observation, and that is how are you going to manage to hydrate all the way there? You cannot cover the 3.3 miles in a straight line, so that is a formidable challenge. You would have to consciously hydrate really well a few days prior. It would also be important to have a GPS to mark your departure point from the trail at the very beginning. I suppose without the GPS, u may find the trail that comes up from Hidden Lake; however, u could just as easily find yourself in that jail cell, and I hear that the moose on the E end are ruthless bondsmen.

If you do attempt it and fail to return, one of us will be sure to bring along an oil can when we come looking for you.
THAT's funny....I don't care who you are! :lol:
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
tinman
NewbieCake

Post by tinman »

Of all the unemployed comedians in this world i get you guys. I'm pretty pumped for a challenge. I grew up in the mountains of West Texas and would go climbing 3 times during the year for a couple days, so i'm a bit overdue for a showdown with nature or perhaps testing my HMO. Its a good healthcare package really. Havent seen the E.R. since my college football days LoL. Its just an irristable itch i gotta scratch. I'm
sure you guys understand. I' ll bring my oil can too! Dorothy isn't coming to save me on that side of island i'd wager.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Crown Royale is always in my oil can, on Isle Royale. 8)

Just sayin'. :)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Ernest T Bass »

tinman wrote:Of all the unemployed comedians in this world i get you guys. I'm pretty pumped for a challenge. I grew up in the mountains of West Texas and would go climbing 3 times during the year for a couple days, so i'm a bit overdue for a showdown with nature or perhaps testing my HMO. Its a good healthcare package really. Havent seen the E.R. since my college football days LoL. Its just an irristable itch i gotta scratch. I'm
sure you guys understand. I' ll bring my oil can too! Dorothy isn't coming to save me on that side of island i'd wager.
Tinman,

You are going to love it. This place will give you a really nice challenge. My wife and I did our first trip last September. Did the counterclockwise Feldtmann Lake loop. Got a fairly decent butt kicking by The Isle, but loved every minute of it and can't wait to come back for another go round. Am a little wiser now. She said it was the hardest thing she ever did both mentally and physically, but was also one of the most rewarding times she has ever had. Nice to have you on the boards!

Cheers,

ETB
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

I got permission for a night of backcountry camping beyond Lookout Louise a few years ago. It was far from the most rewarding off-trail hike I've had on IR. Dense old woods, rough terrain, no views, little to recommend it in my mind.

I slept in my hammock but there weren't many (any?) spots to put a tent.
tinman
NewbieCake

Post by tinman »

Leftovers. Who or whom do I approach to ask for atypical backpacking routes? Approval is based on what criteria. How much advanced notification?
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

Link to the post that explains the rules/procedures for off-trail backcountry camping.......

http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 1057#p6360
sunsetman
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 25

Post by sunsetman »

I've bushwacked to Blake Point and back twice. There are areas of barerock sidehills interspersed along the continuation of the greenstone ridge out to Blake Point. Start at the Lookout Louise and Greenstone Ridge Trail junction on the portage trail Tobin Harbor to Duncan Bay. Stay for the most part on the east side of the ridge. You are in heavy bush in between the bare rock sections and breaks N to S in the rockbase that make for lots of stepping ups and downs and downed trees. Slow going but do able.