W.Chickenbone to Todd Harbor and back to W.C. loop in a day?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

W.Chickenbone to Todd Harbor and back to W.C. loop in a day?

Post by Wilderness Junkie »

Still trying to refine my itinerary for May. I'm changing to a canoe trip but taking a day or 2 for a long hike mid week.

Can anyone comment on a W.Chickenbone - Hatchet Lake - Todd Harbor - McCargoe Cove and back to Chickenbone loop in a day? I think it's around 20 miles, but I've read several threads that state it's the easiest portion of the Mininong. My real plan would be to set up camp at W.Chickenbone and do an overnight hike to Todd Harbor carrying a reduced pack. I would leave my tent / spare food / fishing gear at W.Chickenbone and hike to check out Hatchet lake then up to Todd Harbor to hopefully get THE shelter. If it's taken, I can then try my luck at McCargoe. If that fails, I would have to head back to base camp.

I'm going in late May, so I'm thinking my chances of getting a shelter are pretty good, but I would need a back up plan (aka hike the full loop) in case I can't.

I will only be on the island for 5 nights and this would be a great way for me to check out Hatchet Todd and McCargoe which I have not visited yet.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: W.Chickenbone to Todd Harbor and back to W.C. loop in a

Post by bergman »

Even though it will be early season(late May), as you will be arriving late in the day at Todd or mcCargoe, i think your chances of getting a shelter are quite slim (in part, due to mcCargoe's popularity, it's location, and the fact that the voyageur drops people directly there).

At the same time, even if u do arrive late at mcCargoe, if it's a pleasant evening, u are likely to find folks at the community fire ring, where u could ask about crashing in somebody's shelter, and likely to be in luck.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

The Minong Ridge Trail between Todd Harbor and McCargoe Cove is not the most challenging part but it is a bit tough. I wouldn't bet on the shelter at Todd Harbor, but you might get one at McCargoe. If you don't, the hike from McCargoe to W. Chickenbone is easy going.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Wilderness Junkie wrote:Still trying to refine my itinerary for May. I'm changing to a canoe trip but taking a day or 2 for a long hike mid week.

Can anyone comment on a W.Chickenbone - Hatchet Lake - Todd Harbor - McCargoe Cove and back to Chickenbone loop in a day? I think it's around 20 miles, but I've read several threads that state it's the easiest portion of the Mininong. My real plan would be to set up camp at W.Chickenbone and do an overnight hike to Todd Harbor carrying a reduced pack. I would leave my tent / spare food / fishing gear at W.Chickenbone and hike to check out Hatchet lake then up to Todd Harbor to hopefully get THE shelter. If it's taken, I can then try my luck at McCargoe. If that fails, I would have to head back to base camp.

I'm going in late May, so I'm thinking my chances of getting a shelter are pretty good, but I would need a back up plan (aka hike the full loop) in case I can't.

I will only be on the island for 5 nights and this would be a great way for me to check out Hatchet Todd and McCargoe which I have not visited yet.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
I'm not sure that you can "camp" in two spots at the same time.

Who is in possession of your "spare food"? The W. Chickenbone camp fox, jays, wolves?

"Around 20 miles"; you better have your "hiking" legs.

"Thoughts"; Ask a ranger, "Not" likely. :o
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert

I'm not sure that you can "camp" in two spots at the same time.
I agree. Kinda tough for one person to camp in two spots at the same time. The plan would be to leave my gear, not leave camp set up.
Who is in possession of your "spare food"? The W. Chickenbone camp fox, jays, wolves?
The tree I hung it from in a waterproof / scentproof bag. Last time I checked, that was the approved / appropriate method. Has that changed?
"Around 20 miles"; you better have your "hiking" legs.
That was the whole point of my question.
Last edited by Wilderness Junkie on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by bergman »

So you hit the island May 31. Starting the next day, the consecutive night restrictions go into effect. As long as you don't exceed the 2-nite limit at WCB, i think it's fine to leave your tent set up with your backcountry permit attached. If u camp there the night of May 31, then I believe you have 3 nites to play with.

And u can sleep in a shelter at Todd or McCargoe, but u'd have to be somebody's guest. That could include occupying the shelter while empty, but only after it is already dark; late night travelers can still join you, as they will approach the untagged shelter (or does your snoring challenge the Passage Island fog horn?), and of course you will welcome them in.

I think what is key is that when you start off on your 20 mile sojourn, it's not predetermined that you wont be back to WCB that night.

Good call, though, by jrwiesz, to identify the issue. It also raises two old time-honored mysteries: 1) Can anybody be two places at the same time?; and 2) If a tree falls in the forest (specifically, at WCB) and wipes out your tent, and you're not there to hear it, does it make a sound? :-)
Last edited by bergman on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert

Can anybody be two places at the same time? If a tree falls in the forest (specifically, at WCB) and wipes out your tent, and you're not there to hear it, does it make a sound?
:lol: Too funny. I really did 'laugh out loud' on that one!!

I guess it would be better for me to be sleeping in a shelter at Todd than squished under that tree along with my tent! :shock: