Water Taxi Info

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Water Taxi Info

Post by Tightlines01 »

So. My trip for this year is set already but I think my family is ready next year to join me. I'll likely try to do two trips as the one with the family is going to be very short hikes with lots of lounge time at camp as I try to break them in easy to the island which got me thinking of the water taxi to aid in this.

I was thinking of staying night 1 right at Rock Harbor with the family and then taking the Water Taxi to Moskey for the night, then just going back along the shore (Daisy, 3 mile, Rock).

Does anyone know the following?
1). How early does the Water Taxi leave Rock Harbor?
2). How long does it take to get all the way to Moskey from Rock via the Water Taxi?

My goal was to give them a slice of the Island without overly taxing them on their first trip. My wife will go along sometimes on hikes but doesn't love it. She's a good sport and would come along. My boys are 6 year old twins who have done some short backpacks (like couple miles in and back out). I'm trying them each on a bit longer hikes this year to confirm in my mind they would be fine.

Thanks
Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Water Taxi Info

Post by Ingo »

Hey Andy,
- The water taxi runs on demand, not on a fixed schedule (hence "taxi" and not "bus" :) ). You need to schedule it with the lodge http://www.isleroyaleresort.com/. Weather has the potential to mess up the timing, but it's a protected route and not very likely to be an issue.
- It's about 10 miles, so I'd think 1/2 hr ride or so. You'll probably hang out at the dock longer waiting and loading.

Sounds like a good trip, and you're thinking along the right lines for your family. The first time I took my family we had four nights and paddled all the way from Belle Isle to Rock Harbor :shock: (something I used to do in an afternoon/evening). Everyone had a great time.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Wilderness Junkie »

A couple things to keep in mind:

1) All or a portion of Rock Harbor is no-wake. There are 2 options (at least the last time I took the taxi), go outside the harbor and get there quick or go down the Harbor and 'see the sites'.

2) the water taxis are also charter fishing boats. Depending on when you go, you may have some scheduling competition if you decide to schedule a ride early in the morning.

Sounds like a great idea though and something I may try with my family to 'break them in' to the island.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Thank you for the tips all I appreciate the help.

I was not aware that the water taxi also was a charter fishing boat. I was hoping to go first thing in the morning as we will likely be going in the busy season around the first week of Aug. from my recollections Moskey fills up VERY fast that time of year so I wanted to be there by 10:00 latest. Two years ago we got up and rolled out of McCargoe at a short bit after 6:00 and hoofed it to Moskey. We got there right at 10:00 and the shelters were gone very shortly.

I have plenty of time yet to plan and will be contacting them very early in the off season next year to set everything up. Any other tips? I appreciate all the feedback tips.

Andy
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Wilderness, you made me look :wink: -- the park map shows about 1/2 of Moskey Basin as No Wake, and an area in front of Mott Island all the way across R.H. In any case, Andy it's not hours or anything like that.

Yes, make your reservation early, but don't sweat it too much. You never know about the shelters, even at the "busy" campgrounds. We were 1 of 3 parties at Daisy Farm once around Aug 1. Who would've thought? Same trip there were a couple shelters still open at Moskey into the afternoon.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Wilderness Junkie »

the park map shows about 1/2 of Moskey Basin as No Wake, and an area in front of Mott Island all the way across R.H
Wow, that's it? I'm surprised. When we took the taxi last year, the Captain made it sound like it would be a huge difference in travel time.....thanks for clearing up my assumption.....you know what they say about assumptions.....