Minong Suggestions--end of May

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Minong Suggestions--end of May

Post by JerryB »

Three of us are planning on a McCargo-Todd H.-W/ Chickenbone-Chippewa hike from May 22-26. As an alternative, I am considering the Minong (first night, Todd Harbor). I had planned on a Minong trip two years ago, but lost a day because weather stopped the ferry. This will be my fourth trip to the island.

Here is my question: I know the Minong can be harder to follow than the other trails and we will be going early in the season. Any idea on what sort of trail conditions we will find? Will the trail likely be readily discernable? Passable or blocked with blowdowns? I realize I am asking folks to gaze into a crystal ball.

Appreciate any insights.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Minong Suggestions--end of May

Post by Tightlines01 »

I've never hiked the Minong that early in the year. I think the stretch from McCargoe to Little Todd won't be that bad. The stretch from windigo to N Desor is heavily forested and may be lined with leaves obscuring it. Take your time if it gets covered up and you'll be able to "feel" where the trail is supposed to go. If you go fast and the trail is covered you may earn a backtrack to where you left it.

The stretches crom before and after the Todd Harbors (both little and Todd) are heavily along ridges on the rock. If cairns are missing it could be hard.

Best advice I can give is get an early start and don't try to go to fast. You'll be fine.

Andy
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

I hiked the Minong during that week two years ago. From North Desor to McCargoe there was absolutely no problem in finding the trail. From Windigo to North Desor I had some slight issues. Coming from the direction of Windigo the trail was heavily covered by the last years leaves for a couple of hundred yards about half a mile past the Hugginin Cove Trail intersection. This was the area where the trail dropped down into an intermittent stream bed that fed into Washington Creek. The leaves weren't even kicked up from a previous hiker but I found that my feet could feel the slight depression of the trail under them. I made a point of dragging my foot a few times just to turn up the leaves and make the trail a little more obvious. It really wasn't a problem. There were about three or four other places where I was following the cairns along the ridge line and the trail took a 90 degree turn off of the ridge. Once I realized there wasn't a cairn ahead of me I'd go back to the last one and find the turn. Since the ground was often a wide expanse of rock, it wasn't always easy to see an obvious trail. On the very worst instance I had to drop my pack and walk a 360 degree circle around the last cairn until I could find the trail. Some branches and new grass were laying over it. If I'd been coming from the opposite direction I would have never had a problem there. To be honest, after following that section of trail in the bright sunlight for hour after hour with nobody to talk to I think my mind sort of zoned out and I just wasn't as alert. In summary, it's all part of 'the Minong' experience and you have nothing to worry about.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I'd say, in general, that with May (and into June) the trail is a bit harder to follow since some of the grassy vegetation hasn't grown much, so it's harder to place the trail than later in the year. Like Tightlines01 notes, you'll get a 'feel' for how the trail runs (most times it goes up and down ridges in the same pattern) and follows ridges, so it's a matter of keeping to that pattern.
Depending on how snow was over the winter and if lakes are higher, you'll be getting more run off and so the streams will be flowing more. This will make for trickier water crossings. I hiked the Minong in early June after a wet spring, and some of the water crossings (like the one between Todd and Little Todd, just before camp) were downright ugly.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

Thank you all. I appreciate the insights. Anyone else?
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

A couple years ago I took the first boat and hiked from Windigo along the Minong, turned south between Little Todd and Todd, and finished my journey at Malone Bay. Most of the hike was done before trail crews arrived, and a storm had knocked down many trees, so that increased my chances of losing trail. But overall Gimp described the conditions well. The ridgetops are always going to require an alert mind and/or an occasional backtrack. It's just hard to follow trail when so much of that trail is over rocks. And as Gimp mentioned, in the lower parts, leaves can be an issue, but you'll feel the trail.

It doesn't hurt to add a rock or cairn here and there to help the next hikers. Give yourself plenty of time, Never panic, because occasionally you will lose trail, and that's okay, because ultimately you'll find it again. And enjoy those wonderful Minong views. Have a great trip.
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

Hi JerryB, This is the old guy you and your son met a few years ago. Remember that you only need to cross two beaver dams (bogs) on this trail after L. Desor. Don't do like I did and try to do a third one. After the second one shortly after getting your boots wet, go up hill and through the woods. You'll enjoy the challenges of this trail. jerry
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

Thanks, Jerry. I remember your warning well! We may delay a decision on this route until we get to Windigo, depending on the weather. We are only a month away and there is still three feet of snow on the island! One alternative is to go to Todd Harbor-Hatchett-S. Desor-Windigo. I did that a number of years ago. Otherwise, we will make arrangements to be picked up at Chippewa. Can't go wrong with choices like these.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Here's a suggestion: snowshoes. :)