Off-Trail Hiking to Hay Bay

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

backpackingZombie
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Off-Trail Hiking to Hay Bay

Post by backpackingZombie »

Has anyone ever bushwhacked from the Island Mine Trail over to Hay Bay to spend a night there? I haven't seen it listed anywhere that it's not allowed, but I also haven't read that it is allowed for non-boaters to camp there for a night.

I see via the backcountry zones sheets that it's allowed to hike to it (within 1/4 mile of Lake Superior), but didn't know about sleeping there. My calculations show that the hike would be 3.5 miles from Island Mine Trail, so 5 miles from Siskiwit Bay. I obviously realize that the 3.5 will hike like a lot more, but I'm just curious
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Off-Trail Hiking to Hay Bay

Post by Rafiki »

I will be attemping to bushwack to it in September. I will let you know how things go. According to what I have been told, it is completely alright to bushwack and camp there. Although, I do not have the intentions of camping there.

Here is a question that has not been asked yet. I know that some people mark the Minong with cairns on the ridgelines and with colored tape in the forrested areas. I do not know if this is legal or not, but was wondering if I could leave color tape marking suggesting how to get to Hay Bay for others to check out if they feel inclined. It would also be nice to revisit it in the future too. I worry this would be a violation of LNT standards. So my imagination tells me not to do this. Can anyone confirm my inklings? Thanks.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Richard1961
LNT Expert

Post by Richard1961 »

If you are making a round trip from the iron mine trail and will be returning the same way it might be to your advantage to mark your trail. If the park service dosen't want you to :( you can always remove the marks on your way back. Good luck with your hike and hope to see you later this fall. :D Richard
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

Please avoid using fluorescent surveyor tape to mark your route. It is against LNT principles.

Even if your intent is to remove the markers upon the return trip, you will not get all of them.
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

I thought it was against LNT principles. I also thought about what Richard was saying, just to put the strips of tape on my bushwacked trail so I could follow it on my return back, but I also considered what you were saying Inca about missing on or two strips and that being a complete violation of LNT principles. That was when I questioned whether or not to number each of my strips so I could follow not only the strips back, but the actually numbers on them and be able to determine if I was collecting everyone of them on the way back. In the end, strips or not strips, I think I will be able to navigate my way back. So with that known, perhaps I should just go stripless :)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
backpackingZombie
NewbieCake

Post by backpackingZombie »

just keep the lake on your right going and the lake on your left coming back. I find if you just remember markers it's easy enough.

If I make this trek it'll be on about 2 weeks, so I'll let you know
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Ya, definitely fill me in out what is like. And your right about just using the handrails of the lake to guide me. I think I should be fine. Seriously though, let me know whats its like and if its doable. If it doesn't work out let me know where the complication existed and if it was something that could have been avoided or gone around. Thanks.
greener
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by greener »

Thinking about doing the Feldmann loop and going from Siskiwit Bay to Hay Bay.
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

greener wrote:Thinking about doing the Feldmann loop and going from Siskiwit Bay to Hay Bay.
To overnight on your way to Hay Bay I think you would need to use zone 42 & camp within 1/4 mile of Siskiwit Bay. There is a lot of wetland extending from the head of Hay Bay that could make crossing from the north difficult.
greener
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by greener »

I was thinking about taking the shoreline the whole way down.

Camping at Siskiwit bay and making it to Hay bay in one day.

:?:
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

I've thought about that same trip. Seems like it should be doable. I'm sure it would have an adventure here or there but doable.

I was thinking it would be better to do in the late summer or early fall in case you have to wade some.
drobarge
Bushwacker

Post by drobarge »

greener wrote:I was thinking about taking the shoreline the whole way down.

If you camp at Siskiwit and make Hay the next day you won't need a backcountry permit.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

drobarge wrote:
greener wrote:I was thinking about taking the shoreline the whole way down.

If you camp at Siskiwit and make Hay the next day you won't need a backcountry permit.
You would possibly need it if someone (like a boater or kayaker) beats you to the camp site. Isn't there only 1 site at Hay Bay?
drobarge
Bushwacker

Post by drobarge »

For overflow at a designated area as remote as these I don't believe a backcountry permit would be necessary. I may be wrong....
I look back on all the borderline things I have done up there from backcountry campfires(to cook) all the way up to not clearing customs returning from CA, as long as you are straight forward and honest with the ranger they are VERY understanding. I don't see any trouble with needing to camp near a designated site that is full.