A few miscellaneous questions.....

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Less Paul
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

A few miscellaneous questions.....

Post by Less Paul »

I’m now officially 1 month away from my first IR trip and already I have “vacation head.” ;-)

A few miscellaneous questions:

We’ll be coming to IR aboard the Queen IV from Copper Harbor. I understand they sell park permits onboard ($4 day/person). I assume they’ll need cash for that…not checks or credit cards, correct? Also, does that clear me for my itinerary registration? Or do I have to do that at Rock Harbor headquarters?

I haven’t made ferry reservations yet, but will likely do so in the next day or 2. Can I purchase ferry passage both ways at that time?

Stove fuel: I’ll be using a gas canister-powered unit. I understand I can bring fuel on the ferry, but it has to be packed separately. What’s acceptable packing? I also usually bring a small can of Sterno as a back-up. Do I need to pack that with the fuel canisters?

Are there lockers available at Rock Harbor where I can store a change of clothes and/or stuff I might like to bring for the ferry trip, but not while backpacking?

Can I use a credit card for any miscellaneous items on the island or is it pretty much cash only?

Thanques!
potato sausage
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: A few miscellaneous questions.....

Post by potato sausage »

Less Paul, I can answer a few of these for you.

1. You will still need to register your intinerary once you arrive at RH. You will have a brief orrientation at the dock from the rangers then register. I believe it is cash only for your $4/day/person, but double check when you make your reservations for the Queen.

2. Yes, you can purchase ferry passage both ways when your reserve.

3. You don't really need to pack your fuel, just mark you fuel container(s) so you know which is yours. They just put everyones together in a milk crate and then you pick them up again in RH. I would probably do the same with the Sterno.

4. I'm not sure about lockers.

5. You can use your credit card at the ranger station/gift shop for books, maps, etc. You can also use it at the resturant at the RH lodge. I believe the camp store takes credit cards as well. I would bring cash too, just to be safe. Cash is King.
Less Paul
NewbieCake

Post by Less Paul »

Thanks...that helps!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

There are no lockers at Rock Harbor, but I think the store in RH will store bags/boxes for a small fee per day ($3/day). I know they do that at Windigo, and the same people own both stores...
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi!

Just got back from the Island. The RH store takes credit cards for any purchases over $5.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Caveman
NewbieCake

Post by Caveman »

My wife and I were able to store our clean clothes, etc. at the office across the way from the RH store. I think the $3 per day is correct but I really can't remember.

Have fun! Caveman
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR

Post by Keweenaw »

Another consideration - at RH the washer is $6 and the dryer is 25c/cycle (not sure how many minutes) so might be cheaper to wash your clothes than to store clean ones.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Less Paul
NewbieCake

Post by Less Paul »

I think we'll pass on the storage. Was thinking of bringing a book or two. Just a convenience thing.

Methinks we'll just stink it up until we get back to Copper Harbor.

:lol:
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR

Post by Keweenaw »

If it's a paperback, just stick it in a plastic bag and hide it under a log (or a shelter). Chances are it will be there when you return.
jeastbur
NewbieCake

Post by jeastbur »

Following up on an old post with a similar question.
We will be taking the Queen IV from Copper Harbor, but since we are taking a taxi from the Houghton airport, we won't have a car to store an extra set of clothes for after our trip. Does anyone know if there are lockers available in Copper Harbor, or is our only option the $3/day bins at Rock Harbor?
Thanks.
Rob513
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Rob513 »

Are you staying in a motel in Copper Harbor? If so, the nice folks at the Bella Vista would likely hold a bag for you until you return.

I'll be at the Island canoeing from June 13 to June 26, departing from Copper Harbor. Maybe I'll see you there!

Rob
jeastbur
NewbieCake

Post by jeastbur »

Good suggestion, Rob.
We are debating whether to stay at Fanny Hooe or Bella Vista--if they would hold a bag at the motel, that would be good incentive to stay there. I'll call and find out.

Sadly, we don't go until late August, but I'm ready to go now!

Josh
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Don_P »

Josh - when are you going? We'll be on the island (via the Queen) Aug 28 - Sep 4.
jeastbur
NewbieCake

Post by jeastbur »

Don,

We'll have a group of 5 and we'll be arriving on the Queen on Aug 26 and leaving Aug 30, so maybe we'll pass on the trail. . .
Still working on an itinerary--I'll post it on the forums soon to get comments/suggestions.

Josh
rxgac
NewbieCake

Post by rxgac »

when we went over on the Queen last year they didn't require us to stash our canister fuel. might be a different story with the sterno. we walked over to the dock the evening before and the captain was there and seemed to indicate that stashing the fuel is more for white gas/liquid feul bottles. concern is a leaking bottle getting fuel over everyone's equipment. they picked up the park fee on the ride over. cash only. also note that there is a parking fee that they collect before leaving. i think we paid that at the office. rangers do a LNT talk, then off to the office to file your itenerary. if you're not registering as a group you have some flexibility in changing your itenerary (we did) but i guess groups aren't allowed as much flex.
going over out of Grand Portage this year and they collected the park fee when they charged me for the ferry. guess they collect the parking fee when you come back. leaving 6/19 and back 6/25 this time.