Planning a trip... thoughts?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Planning a trip... thoughts?

Post by Lucky Chicken »

So, every year a group of friends get together to do an "epic" backpacking trip. The last one was in the Smokies (last month), so might as well go from the most visited national park to the least :wink: It is hard to train for mountains in Iowa, but most of us were in pretty good shape. It did identify where we needed to train harder! In 4 days we had a total elivation change of 12500ft. I figure if we are in shape for that we should be fine in IR... anyone disagree?

I am thinking June or September of 2014 (I know its early but I am excited after reading everyone's trip reports)...

Riding over on the VII to Mccargo and hiking to W Chickenbone for Monday night.
Hike to Hatchet for Tuesday night.
Hike to S Desor for Wednesday night.
hike to Siskiwit for Thursday night.
Hike to Feldtmann for Friday night.
Hike to Windigo and rent canoes to paddle to beaver island or stay at Washington harbor for Saturday night.
rent canoes Sunday morning to paddle around the harbor before the VII shows up around 1 for the trip home Sunday.

The plan would be to fish in the evenings if possible. Any thoughts or itinary suggestions? This will be my and everyone else in the group's first trip to IR.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Planning a trip... thoughts?

Post by Tightlines01 »

If you can handle the elevation changes you me ruined before you'll be fine for elevation changes on the island. The harder part of Isle Royale hiking isn't as much the elevation changes asit is the uneven footing. Once you step off the dock there aren't many even steps. many times your feet will be at odd angles from stepping on roots and rocks. Good ankle support and strong soles are important in boots otherwise you can get a rolled ankle easily or sore knees and legs from uneven terrain.

Your Itineary is very doable but unless you want a short hike and day of fishing in Chickenbone I'd skip it and go directly to Hatchet from McCargoe. You could easily still fish in Chickenbone with a short day hike from McCargoe the first day.

Also you could add on a trip around hugging cove which would be a easy add on if your already planning on staying at Washington creek campground in Windigo. I'd much rather do that then spend a night at Chickenbone.

As to time of year it depends on what you want. June would probably be better fishing but Sept would be less crowded and possibly great fall colors depending on when you go.

Hope it helps.
Andy
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

If it is uneven footing we should be fine then... part of our trip in the Smokies was on stock/ hiker trails, which are crazy uneven with rocks and mud, horses tear up trails. I appriciate the tips!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

A lot of trails on I.R. have overhanging vegetation making it hard and sometimes impossible to see where your foot is landing. I went last year with an experienced Smokies backpacker and he seemed to think the overall effort was comparable (surprisingly), even though the elevations aren't near as much. But if you can handle what you've handled you'll be fine in any case.

I'd probably camp at Washington Creek instead of Beaver Island. Beaver Island tends to be busy and there's not much room. While bigger, Washington Creek is pretty spread out, quieter away from the docks, and you can still paddle up to your campsite (most if not all, I think) if you want. Sounds like a good plan overall!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Your best fishing will probably be at Feldtmann Lake. Don't be afraid to wade out a ways, most likely past the first weeds. I like spoons and mepps spinners. I don't think there are fish in Desor Lake.

If fishing is a big part of your journey, consider working some of those inland lakes due south of McCargoe (I'm thinking Chickenbone, Richie, both of which I've had wonderful luck with, over Desor and Hatchet, although this may only be my experience). Remember, no license needed for inland lakes, but if your line is in Lake Superior you need a MI fishing license.

Also, as Ingo said, I would go with Washington Creek. One bonus is that I've almost always seen moose there, in the creek. Lovely spot for sitting and staring.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Thanks! with all the overhanging vegitation does that mean full gators are worth the weight?

I appreciate the fishing tips... maybe I can hit chickenbone and Richie Monday night/ Tuesday morning.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Full gators depends on the person IMO. I don't think I'd bring gators AND Rain pants but as I said that's my oppinion. Depending on the season the trails dry out pretty quickly. Summer days where it's sunny out most of the dew has burnt off by mid to late morning.

If you want to leave before that you can use light rain pants till the trail opens up or dries out.
Lucybeat
NewbieCake

Post by Lucybeat »

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to backpack on the Island in early/mid August. I've never been before, but I've backpacked in the Grand Canyon. I think we'll be there about 5 nights. Any suggestion's would be appreciated. This is probably a really dumb question, but I'm used to having to reserve campsites and I don't see anyway to do that. I realize that we'll have to have a ferry reservation and a $4.00 permit, and an itinerary, but is that it?

What route, campsites, kayaking, etc. would you suggest. Anything in particular we should bring? Any special campsites on the water?
Thanks!!!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Hey Lucybeat, welcome to the forums! The $4 is a user fee and is per person per day (full or partial). There are no campground reservations (unless you're a group of 7 or more). You simply fill out your itinerary when you register, then make any corrections to it when you turn it in at the end of your trip. That allows them to track actual campground usage. If a campground is full, you simply share a site which generally isn't a problem on the island. Folks who go there are generally pretty laid back, friendly, and helpful.

If you don't have it, get the Trails Illustrated map. Then browse the forum for ideas--there's a whole lot here. Are you planning to come from Michigan or Minnesota, or are you open? The Voyageur II out of Grand Portage MN offers the most possibilities because it circles the island. The others come and go to Rock Harbor only. There is also a water taxi, but the cost is prohibitive for some folks--if you handle the cost it opens up more possibilities if coming from MI.

All the campgrounds are nice, except for East Chickenbone, and Island Mine gets mixed reviews, mostly because it's not on any water. Moskey Basin is a pretty universal favorite, but everyone has their own.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Welcome Lucybeat! As Ingo said, browse the forums for ideas on routes and places. The details on permits, boats, trails, etc. can be found on a lot of sites. One difference in going to the island: the planning process becomes a bit more involved as it is not easy to get there and, once there, you basically need to have everything you need.

Once you determine where you are coming in, the number of days, what you want to do (hike and/or paddle) then you will get many options from here.

I think many will agree, the planning is half the fun :)
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Ok some more research and everyone's comments has led me to some more options... the longer I plan the more options I come up with lol.

What do you all think about these options? (possable, alternatives, other ideas, ...)

All west end:
Monday: ferry to Windigo hike to island mine
Tuesday: hike to Siskiwit
wednesday: hike to Feldtmann
Thursday: fishing/ rest day at Feldtmann
Friday: hike to Washington creek
Saturday: hike the Huginnin cove loop
Sunday: paddle around the harbor and ferry back in the afternoon

north and south shores:
Monday: ferry to Mccargo cove hike to Todd harbor
Tuesday: hike to Desor South
wednesday: hike to Siskiwit
Thursday: hike to Feldtmann
Friday: fishing/ rest day at Feldtmann
Saturday: hike to Washington creek
Sunday: paddle around the harbor and ferry back in the afternoon

What are your thoughts on these or should I stick with my origional? I like the idea of ending at Windigo for the chance at a cool beverage on our last night! Based on what I have heard I would really like to see Feldtmann lake and tower, and would like to try to catch fish... any input is more than welcome!
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

I personally like the "West End" trip for a first trip to the island. It gives you a good idea of the island without being overly aggressive.

The first day off the boat will be a long gradual uphill from Windigo to Island Mine. It is not terrible, just long.

Note: if you end up going in September, do not count on a cold drink in Windigo unless it is on or before Labor Day weekend as the store closes down around that time.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Thanks Mike!

I am leaning that way, a layover day is sounding more and more like a great way to spend time on the island. Fishing, and maybe even catching ;)