First trip...3 night stay recommendation?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

ChgoAnge
NewbieCake

First trip...3 night stay recommendation?

Post by ChgoAnge »

Hi all. Making my first foray to Isle Royale after years of saying I'm going to do this someday. I'm traveling solo and probably would be considered a beginning backpacker. I've done a pretty intensive five day backpacking trip in Alaska but that was with a guide and another. At least this time I won't have to haul around a bear canister or climb up and down rocky glacial moraines! But this will be my first solo excursion. So my thoughts are to head out on a some moderate trails that are well traveled. I only have three nights on the island, arriving on a Thursday and catching the 2:45 Sunday boat out of Rock Harbor? Any suggestions? I'd prefer to make use of the shelters but will have tent with me of course. Is it worth hanging out at Rock Harbor for the first day, get my bearings, see the lodge, paddle around the harbor? Will a middle aged, solo female feel comfortable hiking and camping alone? My guess is yes but one never knows these days unfortunately!
persistent
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Re: First trip...3 night stay recommendation?

Post by persistent »

Hey ChgoAnge, congrats on getting out there. It was on my bucket list too and I just got to cross it off last week. I would HIGHLY recommend Moskey Basin if you can get a shelter there - they are right on the water and fill up quickly. McCargoe Cove is also pretty nice too. One thing I would say is that it seems like shelters fill up pretty early out there so I'd recommend trying to get to camp not too late. Also, you asked if it's worth it to get your bearings in RH. I'd say nah, with the amount of time you have, get right out there. Have a great trip!
persistent
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by persistent »

Oh! And I should mention that I'm a 30-year-old female and felt totally comfortable out there.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Welcome to the forums!
Based on your short stay I'd recommend:
1: Rock Harbor to Lane Cove (no shelters). A good wilderness experience and very mellow view
2: Lane Cove to Daisy Farm. Gives you some nice views and a taste of the Greenstone. Daisy is busy, but is also very nice with some great views of Rock Harbor proper.
3: Daisy to Three Mile. A nice hike along the shore and more views of Rock Harbor
4: Three Mile to Rock Harbor to catch the boat. Plenty of time to get there. In this case I would walk the shore to Rock Harbor. It is more difficult than the Tobin Harbor Trail (which you would have walked on day 1), but you have the time and it is beautiful.

If you are up for some longer days (but, would not do myself):

1: Rock Harbor to Chickenbone West. Great campground, but long day.
2: Chickenbone West to Moskey. Ditto
3: Moskey to Three Mile. Ditto.
4: (same as previous)

I would not hang out in Rock Harbor for sure. You will be fresh off the boat and ready to go. Rock Harbor will not give you the release or experience I think most are looking for.
Also. I have done "solo" trips many times and have met many women "solo" on the trails and boats. I have not heard of a single bad experience. The island is not an easy place to get to (as you are finding out) and, in my opinion, and I believe most if not all would agree, you will run into a "higher" level of individual there.

Grab the mile chart off the top of this topic section for the miles. It will aid in planning.

Also, a shameless plug, go to my site listed below. You can download a demo version and use it for 15 days. Included is the "Trip Planner" program that will show you the miles and difficulty of all of the trails.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Welcome to the forums!

MikeT laid out my initial thoughts in his option 1. Day 2 from Lane to Daisy via the Greenstone would let you climb the fire tower and give you some great views of the island, along with Sleeping Giant in Canada and the UP if it's clear enough.
ChgoAnge
NewbieCake

Post by ChgoAnge »

Thanks all! I will be researching all the options! And thanks Mike, I will definitely check out your site. Question about water sources. When I did my trip to Alaska I didn't have to worry about filters or tablets because the glacial water was abundant, pure and oh so good. Any recommendations for what I should bring with me for this trip?
darksideofoz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by darksideofoz »

ChgoAnge wrote:Question about water sources. When I did my trip to Alaska I didn't have to worry about filters or tablets because the glacial water was abundant, pure and oh so good. Any recommendations for what I should bring with me for this trip?

check the gear & supplies subforum.

here is the most recent thread that i found looking there quickly:

http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2064
1 Isle Royale trip: July 2nd-6th 2010
RH>Caribou
Caribou>Daisy Farm Trail>Conglomerate Bay back country camping
Conglomerate Bay>Tookers
Tookers>Merritt Lane
Merritt Lane>Rasberry Island>RH
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

A filter is a must. Some may also suggest adding "Viral stop" drops.

http://www.rei.com/product/671113/msr-s ... lution-2oz

Sawyer Squeeze is my new favorite. I have found getting "dirty" water some-what inconvenient, with the provided dirty bag from Sawyer.

http://www.rei.com/product/858764/sawye ... r-32-fl-oz

A Platypus 4 or 6 liter, zip-top bag for retrieving river/lake water remedies this well, as it attaches to the Sawyer system just fine; and you can use it as a gravity system, as a bonus.

http://www.rei.com/product/768128/platy ... 1b2166becc
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne